Youtube has gone off the deep end
  • POSTED BY Joel Castro on Sep 01, 2016

So, apparently, Youtube only wants to monetize videos that are “advertiser friendly”. Because of this, videos will now get flagged for demonetization because of the following:

1. Sexually suggestive content, including partial nudity and sexual humor.
    2. Violence, including display of serious injury and events related to violent extremisn.
    3. Inappropriate language, including harassment, profanity and vulgar language.
    4. Promotion of drugs and related substances, including selling, use and abuse of such items.
    5. (This is where they’ve completely fucked up) Controversial or sensitive subjects and events, including subjects related to war, political conflicts, natural disasters and tragedies, even if graphics images are not shown.

So, okay, if Youtube does decide to do this, all their most popular channels have to get demonetized, like PewDiePie (uses sexual humor), any WWE or similar wrestling channel (violence), the Angry Video Game Nerd (the man is a volcano of profanity), or anything news related for the remaining categories. Or else, they’d be hypocrites to leave them up because money, amirite??

This is extreme censorship, plain and simple. On a channel that got its start by not succumbing to the strict guidelines of TV or film. And is now becoming even worse about censorship. It started with the fair use controversy, and now it’s come to this.

POSTED BY elheber on Sep 01, 2016

This news is disheartening. This is the type of shit that will change YT for the worse if it isn’t reversed.

I’ve got YouTube Red and I’m in the middle of trying to find out if my money goes to creators who’s videos aren’t being supported by ads; because I’m not an advertiser and I want to support even the videos that aren’t monetized from ads.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY Joel Castro on Sep 01, 2016

Not sure about YT Red, but for the average content maker, this is a MASSIVE problem.

I think it’s time to learn Japanese and join NicoNico as a replacement.

On a lighter note:

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by elheber.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Sep 01, 2016

I think this will just push the content creators to see alternative methods, such as hosting their own site(or joining one like this) and taking their fans away from YT. The creators will be forced to rely on programs like Patreon and PayPal donations or close up their channel.

I’d go as far as saying this is the end of YouTube. Once the creators leave, the users will leave, and no one will care about YouTube. Greed has a habit of always winning, just hope it never happens here.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

The funny thing is that some people, like TotalBiscuit, are defending this by saying advertisers don’t wanna be involved with this kind of content. Uhhh….South Park, WWE, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Orange is the New Black, Family Guy, The Fucking Wolf of Fucking Wall Street, Sausage Party…I could go on, but all those things have advertisers, despite their excessively adult content, which basically shoots that argument in the foot.

According to H3H3, there’s a special “NSFW” group that advertisers can opt-into by simply checking a box for their ads. Videos that are seen as not ad-friendly still got some ads, but only from the few advertisers that manually included themselves into all videos. Moreover, a video being classified as non-friendly wasn’t told to content creators, so they never noticed it unless they looked at the analytics and realized those videos were making less money.

The new system appears to completely do away with the option to choose to play even on “non-friendly” videos. On top of it, creators are finally clearly marking them as non-friendly.

With that said:¬†Clearly notifying what is and what isn’t kosher is actually aiding the censorship. Before, if you said “rape” and you didn’t know you were being fucked by the policy, then you could at least ignorantly continue saying “rape.” Now, the line has been drawn. Now you are being told what isn’t kosher. There was some freedom in ignorance. Not saying it’s a bad thing that they’re being more clear, but almost all of those videos should not be losing ad revenue.

On top of that, there’s a clear bias toward larger channels which are being affected to a much lesser degree, or even not at all.

It’s all just so dumb.

The worst part is, if bigger channels aren’t affected, but others are, it’s pure hypocrisy

POSTED BY elheber on Sep 02, 2016

Vidme (vid.me) is looking like a pretty good replacement. I already got an account on that sonbabich.

POSTED BY Joel Castro on Nov 03, 2016

It gets better. Apparently, Twitch is now wanting to let users upload gaming videos permanently on the site. It’s in beta right now, but basically Twitch is trying to be Youtube’s competition in the gaming world in terms of video content, not just streaming.

POSTED BY elheber on Nov 04, 2016

That’s great news!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.