Working on a new blog in praise of Dark Souls as a franchise
  • POSTED BY Joel Castro on Oct 12, 2016

The title says it all. I’m working on a blog that will talk at length about what From Software’s Soulsborne series has done for the gaming industry, for gaming as a whole, and also for me personally along its 7 year history. I’m working hard on it, and it’s going to be pretty personal and heartfelt, so get ready for the feels this time (lol I’m kidding…if you do feel something while reading, however, don’t be afraid to share it though). As a preview, here’s a quick paragraph from the whole thing:

“Thank you, From Software, for introducing a game that batters, bruises, and utterly humiliates the quick, the stubborn,¬†and the arrogant. Too long we’ve been complacent at the relative ease of victory, all too eager to rush through things without much forethought, with many obstacles being lenient in their punishment for such a commitment to obstinance. Maybe that’s what we all needed though: a swift kick down that dark and perilous hole, and being plunged back in with all the experience we may have gained lost along the way. Only by not repeating the same mistakes and conquering the challenge with a new endgame and resolve can we regain that experience, so that someday it may be used further down when the road becomes even more arduous than before. Because we’ve all been there. Not in death – though the death of experience is a loss to be mourned regardless – but in the struggle of picking ourselves back up from the brink. That run through Blighttown might also be that job interview for a great career, that chance to reunite with an estranged relative, the opportunity to talk to that one person who’s been in your heart and mind for a long time. The journey is brutal, and it kills your spirit every now and then. But this game tells you it’s okay. It’s not the end of the world if you fail. The only true failure is when you put down the controller and give up. Keep going and maybe you’ll get that job. Maybe you and your father will be able to talk on good terms again. Maybe that person might become your future spouse. Whatever it is, this game will teach you to make it through, and come out the better so that someday, amidst future struggles, you won’t have to pick yourself up so many times over.”

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 13, 2016

Are you going to toss out a reference to Kings Field as well? I’d enjoy seeing your thoughts on how they built on the concepts of those games to create the juggernaut Souls games have become.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY Joel Castro on Oct 13, 2016

I would if I knew anything about the series. Haven’t played a single entry from King’s Field, sadly. Some are on PSN though, if I’m not mistaken.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 13, 2016

Demon’s Souls was a spiritual successor to the Kings Field series I believe. I have one of them on PS1, it has a very similar atmosphere, but the game style didn’t work as well on the PS1 and was in first person I believe. Check out some vids on YouTube, you’ll probably be able to see how much those games influenced the Souls series, especially Kings Field IV. There was another similar game as well, Shadow Towers I think it was called. All of these games were developed by From Software starting in the mid 1990’s.

I only bring it up because I’m a fan of gaming history, and it fascinates me that Souls has taken off and relatively no one knows about the games that inspired them.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.