Why Does So Much of the News Get Ignored?
  • POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Feb 07, 2017

Wrote a blog post about what I have been noticing the past 2 years as I got myself deeper into the video games press.

Check it out.

https://gamelust.com/much-gaming-news-get-ignored/

Also, I know this would have been a good blog post to have share replies & comments with the forums here, but the feature simply isn’t built yet, not sure how I’d approach it either. Have to figure out how to make the two post types share data instead of duplicating the data.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Jul 09, 2017

I’m just reading this ancient topic now. I will say this – I’m reading fewer and fewer articles on major game websites that I used to follow. But it’s not because I’m disinterested in gaming news, but rather that I am disinterested in THEIR gaming news. I have mild interest, at best, in throw-away small-talk articles covering the same AAA games over and over and over again. It’s oversaturated.

What I need, as a gamer, is sparser, more meaty content about ME Andromeda, GOW4, etc, interspersed with content about more weird or unique things going on in the gaming world. There are bazillions of games coming out constantly that simply don’t see the light of day on big naming gaming websites, but if they did I would actually read those sites more. I used to go to gaming websites to discover new games, or read in-depth strategy discussions. Those sort of things almost never come about now.

I get that Activision pays to have heavy coverage of ____, and I get that a lot of gamers love hearing about those big games as well – or at least love buying an arguing about them. But I think the sites can cater to that source of support and to that readership while offering meaningful variety spanning the diverse gaming world (rather than throwing out more filler from other types of entertainment in order to broaden appeal – which seems to be the newest strategy sticking to the quantity over quality approach. Instead of richer game content, we get the same AAA game fluff with AAA movie fluff)

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Rex ranae.
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.