Welcome to Gamelust, Introduce yourself here!
  • POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jan 28, 2016

I want to start out by saying “Thank You!”, thank you very much for joining our site. It is an incredible feeling to see other people using our creation here even at such an early stage in our existence. With less than 50 users and 30 reviews total(most of which are mine), every new post feels like a step towards making this site great.

My name is Rob, and Gamelust has been a dream of mine that has undergone many changes over the past 15 years as I kept trying to build this site. From writing reviews for original Xbox games in a notebook on my lunch break at work back in mid 2001 to the site you see before you, it has been quite the journey, and we’re only just getting started. I have been playing games since somewhere around 1984-1986 when my parents gave me their Atari 2600 with around 20-30 games. I still have that Atari, and a whole lot more.

My passion in life is video games, and I built this site with one of my best friends so that I could share that passion with others who love video games as much as I do. Drop a reply in this thread and introduce yourself to everyone else, tell us how you got into gaming and how it has effected your life.

So, welcome to Gamelust, and from the bottom of my heart, thank you for joining us!

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Feb 09, 2016

My name is Ulysses. During the day I make and prepare graphics for silkscreening. Graphic design is the only hobby of many that became a career, but by no means was it my favorite one. I’m an enthusiast for video games, particularly the design of them. Everything about how they work, from conceptual design to the mechanics of play just fascinate me.

In the near future, I plan to make hobby videos on how specific elements of games work, such as what makes the freeflow combat of Arkham Asylum feel so damn good. And then use my amateur programming skills to create little demo-game abstractions (think Warioware micro games) for people to download in order to test out my theories.  For example: Is it the rhythmic nature of Arkham’s combat that makes it so good or is it just the counter button? I’d make a pair of two-button games that each test a side of it out.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY Joel Castro on Mar 01, 2016

Guess it’s my turn. Here goes.

My name is Joel. I’m a programming student who’s currently trying to get accepted into the US Air Force. Video games have been a part of my life ever since I first played Super Mario World for the SNES. My passion for video games became cemented after playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and realizing the capabilities of the medium to not only be a fun rewarding festival of fun, but to also create wonderful stories that you get to be an active participant in. That, and this is the only medium that has helped me to get over my severe social anxiety.

I hope to someday create video games that not only have engaging and rewarding gameplay, but also produce narratives that can bring people to tears of either sadness or joy. I currently write game reviews (a few of which you can find on this site), and am always studying the art of game design, specifically trying to combat the notion that strong, fluid gameplay is the only way a game can truly be considered great (I posit that there are games with clunky controls that help make the experience even more worthwhile than it has any right to be).

POSTED BY NaughtyOttsel on Apr 15, 2016

Hey there, guess I’ll join in too.

My name is David, I’ve been a gamer since I was around 3 to 4 years old when my dad first let me try his SEGA Mega Drive and ever since I first saw Sonic run through those loop de loops I’ve been hooked. I’m currently at University learning in the technical support field of Computing and even to this day I’m still a hardcore gamer.

I’m currently battling depression and just recently got a lung transplant so I tend to get rather opinionated which usually ends up with rather venomous conversations (trying to improve myself on that field).

I prefer Japanese games over Western games so even though I play on any platform it usually boils down to the PS4, PC and WiiU for me since those are home to my absolute favourite IPs such as Ace Attorney, Zelda, Final Fantasy and more.

That’s all from me, hope to chat soon.

POSTED BY shadowchronicle on Jun 27, 2016

Call me Thuan, I’ve been gaming since I was little but have been holding off because of my new job.

Currently I’m all over the map but my two favorite games to play in my free time is Overwatch and Dota 2, I really enjoy the team aspects in these games.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jun 27, 2016

Welcome to Gamelust Thuan! Hope you’re enjoying the site so far. How did you discover us? I’m curious to know.

POSTED BY elheber on Jun 28, 2016

Rob, Ulysses, Joel, David and Thuan. We have enough for a Megazord now.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jun 28, 2016

But I want to be the Green/White Ranger with my own robot dinosaur!

POSTED BY shadowchronicle on Jul 01, 2016

Welcome to Gamelust Thuan! Hope you’re enjoying the site so far. How did you discover us? I’m curious to know.

I used to read the bugs & feedback forum back on gamespot and you always posted there. I saw the link in your sig and I thought, why not join?

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 01, 2016

I used to read the bugs & feedback forum back on gamespot and you always posted there. I saw the link in your sig and I thought, why not join?

Neato Burrito man! Hope you’re enjoying the site so far. I’ve got my own Bugs & Feedback section here as well, if you see anything out of place or not behaving as expected let me know.

Fun fact. This place was mostly the product of Edgework, Wemmick, and Lark constantly telling me what they couldn’t do in GameSpots Feedback forum. I got so tired of them feeding me a line of bullshit that I just started building everything they said they could not.

Tell your friends we exist, we’re trying to build something special here.

POSTED BY shadowchronicle on Jul 01, 2016

I used to read the bugs & feedback forum back on gamespot and you always posted there. I saw the link in your sig and I thought, why not join?

Neato Burrito man! Hope you’re enjoying the site so far. I’ve got my own Bugs & Feedback section here as well, if you see anything out of place or not behaving as expected let me know. Fun fact. This place was mostly the product of Edgework, Wemmick, and Lark constantly telling me what they couldn’t do in GameSpots Feedback forum. I got so tired of them feeding me a line of bullshit that I just started building everything they said they could not. Tell your friends we exist, we’re trying to build something special here.

No problem!

Yeah one issue I had is feedback doesn’t seem to do anything in that forum, we were promised things we never got (I mean the service is free and all) but at the end of the day they make money off of our visits.

Might as well suggest things.

POSTED BY Thranx on Jul 09, 2016

*waves*  Anyone covering PC related news around here?  I may begin contributing… the PC link returned nothing, sadly.

Dig the concept tho.  Like the layout as well.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 10, 2016

What’s up Thranx! No, we don’t have anyone who specifically covers PC right now. Though even if we did you would be welcome to post as much as you would like. You can post whenever you want, there is no schedule or minimum requirements. There is also no restriction as far as posting about one platform or another. If you see something on console that gets you excited, go ahead and write something up.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 10, 2016

Also, I know I am missing a lot of games for PC, I’m really far behind on data entry. So if you need a game added to the database, or have a list/spreadsheet of games to add to the database, let me know and I will get the data sorted out. I’ve had a bunch of help from some really great users on here so far, but the behind the scenes stuff is still a one man job so it’s hard to keep up. Still haven’t even added all the games from E3 this year, or last year for that matter.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Jul 16, 2016

Hi everyone!

Just signed up, and I hope to contribute some fun content over time. I’m a researcher by day (and night… and weekends… if you know academics then you know from where I’m coming), and have one too many hobbies on my plate at any given time as well. But I’ve been gaming since the late 1980s, and it remains one of my primary means of relaxation. I’m a big fan of games of most genres, on both consoles and PC, so I don’t have any specific angle. While I am currently and actively playing new games, I love retro gaming, so hopefully I can contribute some interesting thoughts on both the new and the old facets of the gaming landscape.

– Giovanni

POSTED BY Joel Castro on Jul 16, 2016

Welcome, Giovanni. Hope you like it here. Don’t hesitate to post things, either. You never know what will get posted on the main page.

POSTED BY elheber on Jul 16, 2016

There’s so many of you now, I’m gonna miss being “the guy.”

Welcome Giovanni and Thranx. Looking forward to arguing with you about why a girl Link would be an excellent idea for a new Zelda game. I just said that because it incites discussion. Also because it’s true.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 17, 2016

Hah, hopefully there’ll be many more to come. The more people posting, the faster this place will take off. Once that happens, we can start trying to make some money, have the site pay for itself, and maybe even have enough left over to reinvest some of that back into you guys via free games or pledges on patreon.

POSTED BY kaenna on Sep 09, 2016

Hey all!

My name is Tom and I’ve been playing games for as long as I can remember. I’m from the UK and have studied Computer Games Design at quite a high level so my background is entirely related to games! I found your site through Gamespot where I have lurked for a long time and decided to sign up here as I like what you have going on.

In terms of specifics, I own a PS4, Xbox One and a shiny new PC so I tend to play quite a variety of games although I do lean more towards the multiplayer side of things more than single player (despite being a HUGE Souls fan :D). I saw that you are allowing anybody to contribute to the articles/reviews/news on this site and that is something which I would be interested in doing. Do you have any specific areas which need covering or are people free to cover what they please. I follow the League of Legends and Overwatch esports scenes so I can write articles about those if required and I also don’t mind reviewing games I play.

Sorry for being long winded, hope to get involved soon!

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Sep 09, 2016

Hey Tom, welcome to the site!

I prefer to let the users decide what they want to cover and how often they contribute. My mantra is I want people to tell me why they love gaming, not why they hate gaming. So allowing you to cover whatever your heart desires won’t put you in a box nor restrict your passion. If you want to write about LoL one day and PS4 the next, go for it. Negative opinions are welcome so long as it’s constructive criticism, if a game company or publisher does something you don’t like, my only request is when you write about it try to offer up at least one solution.

As for reviews, let me know if a game is missing from our database, I’m only caught up on most of the PS4 games and almost all of the Xbox games, I have very few of the PC games, WiiU, retro or handheld games added right now. And if a game is already reviewed go ahead and review it anyway, I want to offer up multiple opinions so that our users can have multiple views to base their decisions on. I think we can create a site where the gamers who come to read our content can connect with the content provider and form a personal level of trust based on mutually shared opinions. I think if a gamer comes on here, reads a bunch of my reviews and tends to agree with me on most of them, if not all of them, they can get a pretty good idea of whether or not they will like a game they haven’t tried based on my review of it.

My hope is that we can try to build a community based on trust where people are accepting of others differing opinions and somehow try to provide tools to the gamers so they can find like minded gamers to discuss and play games with.

I do have a question for you, I would like to know if you had any problems signing up, or any suggestions how we could improve that experience. It’s currently my biggest concern with the site since I have so few new members since adding spam protection to the registration form.

And lastly I wanted to point out the Patreon support built into the site, I am hoping this will allow our content providers to be able to earn a bit of money from any fans they make here. I will also be adding a PayPal option in the near future for one-time donations. Though I would say to temper expectations while we still grow, we’re still very small.

POSTED BY elheber on Sep 09, 2016

Welcome, Tom.

So far I’m mostly handling Nintendo stuff, not because it’s my “territory” or anything, but just because I have a soft spot for them. Though it isn’t helping that Nintendo is being absolutely tight lipped with highly anticipated news. Doesn’t mean I don’t cover stuff outside of Nintendo, however. So, yeah I think covering what you like is great regardless of what anyone else is doing. There’s no Lead Editor telling journalists what to cover, so we can cover similar things from different perspectives.

I think Uncharted 4 got like three or four reviews from different people, all with varying opinions on the game. I love that.

Hey there!

To answer your question, I did actually have an issue with signing up. I tried to sign up with a different email address but never received a confirmation email even after resending it multiple times. It wouldn’t show up in spam/junk etc either. In the end I used a different email service entirely and had no issues at all.

And yeah, what you’re trying to create here just seems very fresh. It’s almost as though this site is taking steps forwards in terms of content creation and delivery and I feel that once it gains some traction and develops an audience, this could be a a core site for gaming. As someone who browses multiple games sites, I appreciate how few “fluff” articles there are here. It is clear that (from what I’ve read so far) each and every article has been created by someone who is passionate about the topic they are writing about, which really adds credibility to what is written.

Once I’ve learnt my way around the site and had a read through some more existing work I’ll have a look into what I want to cover. It’s getting quite close to the League of Legends World Championships, so if I have time I may try and do some write ups about that as I will most probably be watching it all.

In terms of the Patreon support etc, I like the idea of content creators being paid, however it wasn’t a factor in me signing up at all. To me, the biggest thing right now is getting the site to grow and getting it out to as many people as possible. Once I start writing articles etc I’ll most likely link them to friends, so if possible I’ll try and get some of them signed up. I feel like the site could become a hub for any gamer regardless of taste, we just need to reach out to them first.

Hi there!

I imagine Nintendo is a bit of a tricky one to cover right now, it all seems to be rumours and leaks thus far! And yeah, gaming is a hobby and at the end of the day everyone likes different games etc, so I think having multiple sources is important. When I purchase a game I always check out reviews from different places as well as ask friends for their opinions too. I mean I’ve played some games with terrible review scores but still thoroughly enjoyed them because they appeal to me!

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Sep 09, 2016

Glad you like what we’re trying to do here. I’m always looking for feedback from you guys if you see something we can do to improve the site for gamers. One thing I’m hoping to have an idea for is how to handle those ‘fluff’ pieces. There are a lot of little ‘bits’ of news that I agree should be shared, but don’t really deserve a whole article. Though now that I think of it maybe I could dedicate a small square on the home page to these ‘bits’ and have it cycle through small stories that do not need a full story. Just have to figure out how to fit it in.

One question about your sign up troubles, were they before or after August 1st? We moved hosts and the old host had some major issues with emails and spam. If this happened after August 1st then it’ll confirm the problem is on my end and not our host. I’m still building the site so you will notice a few things get upgraded in time, home page needs a refresh right now(top authors box is out of whack, bit news), profile pages need some work, forums are half done, commenting is half done, advertising is half done, data entry is really far behind, and now I’m sad. :(

lol

Hey,

Yeah I just meant the sheer amount of clickbait articles which are 3 lines on Gamespot, or having 3 tiny articles that cover roughly the same topic. But yeah I think a “Recent news” or something would be good just at the top of the page. Use it to track big announcements etc.

And it could have been beforehand although I don’t fully remember :( And yeah, although I was browsing some reviews about 4 days ago and had no issues, so at least the core site works!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.