VR or AR?
  • POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jan 21, 2016

So 2016 is supposedly the year of Virtual Reality, and 2017 may just well be the year of Augmented Reality. With Oculus Rift and Playstation VR on one side, and the Microsoft HoloLens and possibly a handheld from Nintendo as part of the NX console on the Augmented Reality side.

If cost were not an issue, which device or devices would you be most interested in.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Feb 10, 2016

I wrote a reply to this and it isn’t here. I’m afraid I may have gotten distracted by something and never hit the submit button.

What I said, in a nutshell, is that I don’t think 2016 will be “the” year of VR, but more likely the year it either proves to us that it’s a viable medium for a broad market, or if it will be relegated to a niche audience for at least this generation. My prediction of “THE” year of VR will be 2017/18 when the prices for both headsets and the PCs capable of running it drop significantly.

There will not be a year of AR. VR is for games, AR is for business enterprise. There’s only so many games and game genres that can take place in your apartment.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Feb 10, 2016

Fair enough, it may be a little early to consider this the year of VR, though it is definitely VR’s break out year with so many devices coming out. With AR I kind of see it as being more of an overall device, not just another gaming format, which means it can work in tandem with other devices. So while it may not have the same all encompassing experience that VR has, it’ll still have a gaming use eventually.

I can still see playing a game on the Xbox One with a HoloLens and letting the HL expand the action away from the screen, adding true 3d effects, making objects around you appear differently based on the game interaction, bringing the living room itself into the game on the screen. Here’s an example of what I think an Xbox and HoloLens in tandem could possibly do: Take the Psycho Mantis scene from Metal Gear Solid, where they read save files on your memory card to create the illusion of being able to read your mind. Now you have the ability for the HoloLens to examine objects in the room instead and have the character react to that. How about when PM teleports, having him teleport outside your normal field of view and only appearing when you look in his direction.

How about another one? Taking elements from your house and integrating them into a game like PT, and incorporating elements from the game into your actual house. Imagine finding personal items from other rooms inside the game world on the screen, a photo of your wife off the desk, drawings made by the children on the fridge in game. Imagine the enemy on screen disappearing from the screen, and you hear a sound coming from what should be the nearest hallway, or another nearby room, the AR device animates what appears to be a door that is slightly open, lights flickering on the other side, and as you approach the door the enemy jumps out at you. Hopefully the door it used was the door to the bathroom, because you’re going to need a shower immediately.

Obviously this isn’t how AR will start out, might take a 2nd gen HoloLens, but I’m fairly confident someone will make that happen. If they don’t, I will. It’s on my list of game ideas I plan on making over the next 15-20 years after I finish gamelust.

POSTED BY elheber on Feb 11, 2016

I like your ideas a lot, but there isn’t much to go from there. The 3DS had a lot of AR games and some of them were clever as well; one of them put a shape on your screen (like a cylinder) and you had to find an object in your house to match that (like a toilet paper roll). I wanted a horror game that would secretly capture your face with the inward cameras and place it in portraits within the game world, except the portraits had your face mangled or warped in horrific ways.

Prototype Hololens units are $3000, and the viewing area is a tiny rectangle at the center. It’s only be the next generation when the viewing area might be large enough to “extend outside” your living room TV… actually, no, by then living room TVs may be OLED wallpaper that you roll onto the entire wall.

AR has tons of applications for business. You could potentially have board room meetings like in The Kingsman where everyone not in the room is a hologram. Museums could have rooms where they display animated exhibits that you could almost reach out and touch. Designers, engineers and architects could work on 3D models on a physical table as a group.

As a business productivity product, something Microsoft was founded on, they have a broad scope and can make expensive models at high profit margins. As a consumer electronic device, the Hololens will be limited in use, limited in hardware, and their margins will be slim trying to compete with $600 VR headsets.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Feb 12, 2016

Yeah, I definitely envision my ideas as more of a HoloLens 2.0 deal, definitely something 5 years out or more.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.