Unable to Edit My Blog(s)
  • POSTED BY elheber on Jul 17, 2016

I just posted this blog: https://gamelust.com/gross-egg-cures-diabetes/

But when I posted it, WordPress gave me an error in the editor making me worry it didn’t post. Thankfully it did. I clicked the back button to check on it and it gave me an “unable to edit this document” (or something along those lines). I went to the WordPress dashboard and found my blog was blacked out, with only a “view” link at the bottom. I can’t edit it.

While we’re on the subject, if we want to add images to a blog post (non-gaming related), do you want us to upload them to the site or host them from without?

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 17, 2016

I’m not sure what would cause you to not be able to edit the post, doesn’t look like a permissions issue so I’ll have to research it this week if I have time.

As for images uploaded, for now we can upload them here and we’ll see how that goes, please keep the images limited to 1920×1080 though. That image on the blog post took forever to load.

I re-applied the permissions as well, double check to see if that fixed it.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Jul 18, 2016

The image on the blog post is 1920×1080. Are you getting some bug that’s making them larger for some reason? I just checked the file I originally uploaded, and it’s indeed 1920×1080. The media gallery also says 1920×1080.

Also, for blog post images that aren’t the featured image, is it all right to upload smaller images? What about 4:3 images? Or should I upscale images to 16:9 1080p before uploading just so everything stays consistent?

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 18, 2016

I’d prefer we tried to keep them to 1920×1080, but truthfully as long as they’re 16:9 it should be fine. The ratio is the most important part of it, since the whole site design is based around a consistent ratio. 1600×900 and 1280×720 are the smallest sizes that can be uploaded in my opinion. While the smaller sizes aren’t an issue right now, my designer and I are setting things up for this site to support 4K displays in the near future. The current main image on the home page is 1280×720 but will be bumped up to 1920×1080 on a 4K screen.

I guess my internet was just slow yesterday, it took a good 5-10 seconds for my computer to display the featured image so I just assumed it was a 4k image.

Did you check to see if you were still locked out of your own post? There shouldn’t be any restrictions on it at all.

POSTED BY elheber on Jul 18, 2016

Indeed, I’m still locked out. In the WordPress Dashboard, under Posts, my blog post title is listed there. However, it isn’t a clickable link like my reviews/articles. And when I hover over it, the usual “edit/full edit” links don’t appear. Instead I’m only shown a “view” link that takes me to the public page.

Can you edit your own blogs, sn0w? If you’ve got an alt account with the regular permissions we do, can you test this with that one to see if you have the same problem?

I do have an alt I use for testing. You’ve also got special privileges, if anything you should have more options, not less. I’ll take a look at it tomorrow when I’m at work, I can do some debugging today, but fixing it code-wise will happen on the work computer.

I don’t have that problem since I’m admin, I can even edit your articles if I chose to, or you requested it. I don’t like it when people edit my work though, so I avoid the issue and keep my edits to spelling mistakes mostly. Usually it’s just titles that I want to re-word so I can make an article featured and draw more interest.

Right now you, mastermetal777 and Craig are all content-editors on this site. I’m planning on building up the user ranking system so that there is a leveling system similar to the one GameSpot used to have based on how often someone posts on the site and how well received their work is. I also found a suggestion via someone bitching on GS about the state of their site, so I’m going to try and get some emblems made up that will go on a users profile for specific achievements on the site. (i.e. 10 posts, 100 posts, 1000 posts, 1 like, 10 likes, 100 likes). Once this is complete, you guys will basically have the option to make edits to other peoples posts, as well as see draft and private posts should you choose to have your rank upgraded.

I’ve mentioned it before, though maybe not so direct, you guys are basically staff members, there just isn’t anyone for you guys to manage. The three of you are pretty much the MVPs, there wouldn’t really be much of a gamelust if you guys weren’t helping with content. I just need to finish the damn site, get the ad/donate page up, and get us some traffic and you can pretty much become official staff members if you guys want it.

I think I found the bug, try to edit your post again, I think it will work this time.

POSTED BY elheber on Jul 19, 2016

By golly, it worked!

Thank you, Rob.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.