Time To Upgrade My Aging PC - Requesting Advice On New GFX Card
  • POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 25, 2016

Title pretty much says it all. I’m a huge fan of Civilization, and of course with Civ VI coming out it’s time to get back into that game. I’ve already obtained a copy of the 25th anniversary edition, but I’m fairly sure my gfx card is simply too weak to run the game smoothly at minimum specs.

Truth is I am not a PC gamer, I game on my PC, but I do so casually. I’m not looking for the next best 4k experience, nor am I looking to spend much money. So I’m looking to upgrade the graphics card on this PC so that I can play Civilization VI, and I’d like to at least have the potential to play other modern games at a level consistent with the Xbox One and Playstation 4. My hope is that I can get a card that is maybe a year old or so, not much more than that, which will hold me over for another year or two when I plan on buying a more modern gaming PC for that time.

I’ll leave my current specs in a reply once I get home(about an hour from now).

Thanks in advance.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Oct 25, 2016

I recommend the Nvidia GTX 1050Ti ($140) or the Radeon RX 480 ($250). The GTX will be able to play new PC games at medium to high settings at 60fps. The RX will be able to play new games on high settings at solid 60fps, plus it should be able to handle first generation VR games should you ever buy into that.

The GTX 1050 Ti is also really power efficient so you only need a basic power supply (if your PC doesn’t have a beefier power supply). The RX 480 has caused problems with certain older motherboards that can’t supply enough power through the card slot, so if you have an old PC you want to upgrade, you might want to look this up some more.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 25, 2016

Forgot to add the specs when I got home.

Model: ASUSTek CM6850
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz(8 CPUs, ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    DX version: 12

Current GFX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520, Integrated, 6086MB total memory

Technically this would appear to be just below the minimum specs for Civ VI. I might be able to run the game, but even if I could, it’s clear that it is time to upgrade.

I’ll look into the 1050 Ti, I can’t find any decent data on the mobo and don’t feel like opening the case to check. Looks like the PSU included was a 350w, but I can’t guarantee it.  SysInfo and cmdprompt are unable to display a valid ‘baseboard’ serial number.

POSTED BY elheber on Oct 26, 2016

If you don’t want to change the power supply, the GTX 1050 Ti is the way to go.

You picked the perfect time to upgrade. The 1050 Ti is right around the corner (leaks suggest it’s launching today) and it’ll be the first 14nm graphics card from Nvidia. My nephew decided to upgrade in June right before AMD and Nvidia switched to their faster, cheaper and more efficient 16/14nm process. So he spent about $400 on a card you’re about to beat with your $140 GTX 1050 Ti.

EDIT: Oh, reviews for the 1050 Ti came out about a week ago. They got review cards already.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by elheber.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 26, 2016

That’s good news, I’ll be keeping an eye out for it then. Probably going to pick it up on Black Friday, even if it isn’t on sale. Targeted that day for spending anyway since my budget is usually unlimited. :x

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Oct 26, 2016

I might suggest a 1060 or – if you are feeling “spendy” (for a more casual PC gamer) even a 1070 – this is because given your requirements a card like that will last you a long long time. The 1050TI is remarkable for the amount of power it needs, though, and I agree it’s a good buy if you don’t want to touch the PSU. Still, I’ve never been happy buying top end, and I’ve never been happy buying low end (and the 1050TI is still kinda down there). Both cases I feel like the cost/enjoyment/longevity ratios have been off. I like the mid-range. It’s a warm safe place if you have a budget that can get you there

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Rex ranae.

POSTED BY elheber on Oct 27, 2016

The GTX 1060 would be my personal choice, though I’m going a step higher to the 1070 because I’ll be needing forward compatibility with future VR devices.

But if all you need is to parity with the XBO and PS4, then the 1050 Ti should be able to top them easily. Civilization 6 isn’t particularly demanding either, according to the spec requirements.

If a few hundred more dollars isn’t a problem, then you may as well go for the GTX 1060/1070 and future-proof yourself.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 27, 2016

I will keep the 1060 in mind, money isn’t really going to be an issue, I just want something that will allow me to go back and catch up on some of the PC games I may have missed over the past 5-15 years where i’ve been mostly console focused. My goal is to have a card that will not have any trouble running this years holiday games at 1080/60, so maybe I should go with the 1060. I really just don’t want to go too crazy with it because my personal belief is that the nature of PC graphics is similar to phones in that you really can’t buy a new product without the next version being just around the corner.

I’m sure I could buy a 1080 today, but how long until theres a 1090? or a super steroid version of the 1080?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.