The Game Awards - Results
  • POSTED BY Joel Castro on Dec 03, 2016

So the Game Awards have come and gone like a fart in the wind. Yeah, I was never a big fan of this awards show, as it seemed like a continuation of the non-caring, advertisement driven nonsense that the VGX awards were before this came and gave it a different pair of boots. In case you care, here are the results of each category (the winner will be in bold), and a few short thoughts on the winners of each category.

Game of the Year

Doom

Inside

Winner: Overwatch

Titanfall 2

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Thoughts: I get this game has a lot of fans, and it’s a fun game when it isn’t trying to make you gamble on randomized loot caches, but I find it tough to award GOTY to a fully multiplayer game. Blizzard must have some deep pockets, considering none of the categories are voted on by, y’know, gamers. It has a lot of modes, yes, but there still needs to be something more substantial there for me.

Best Game Direction

Winner: Blizzard (Overwatch)

DICE (Battlefield 1)

id Software (Doom)

Naughty Dog (Uncharted 4)

Respawn (Titanfall 2)

Thoughts: This I can kind of understand, given the fact that Overwatch is by far one of the best designed shooters to come out in a long time.

Best Narrative

Firewatch

Inside

Mafia III

Oxenfree

Winner: Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Thoughts: I’m glad Uncharted won this one. I know Firewatch got a lot of love for its story (with good reason, I hear), and Inside looked interesting as well. Mafia 3 though…no. Just…no. And I’ve never played Oxenfree, so no comment on that one.

Best Art Direction

Abzu

Firewatch

Winner: Inside

Overwatch

Thoughts: this category could’ve gone to any of these games, honestly.

Best Music/Sound Design

Battlefield 1

Winner: Doom

Inside

Rez Infinite

Thumper

Thoughts: haven’t heard of any of these apart from Doom and Battlefield. That said, Doom had the most satisfying sounds of any game this year. Plus the music was pretty good too.

Best Performance

Alex Hernandez as Lincoln Clay – Mafia III

Cissy Jones as Delilah – Firewatch

Emily Rose as Elena – Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Winner: Nolan North as Nathan Drake – Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Rich Summer as Henry – Firewatch

Troy Baker as Sam Drake – Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

Thoughts: Okay, this category might have been slightly skewed in favor of Uncharted 4, but I can’t disagree. Nolan North gave the greatest performance of his career this time around, and the rest of the cast was no exception.

Games for Impact

1979 Revolution

Block’hood

Orwell

Sea Hero Quest

Winner: That Dragon, Cancer

Thoughts: I only know about the winner, and only saw a Let’s Play, but damn that game fucked me up. It brought a lot of awareness for juvenile cancer, and that’s amazing to me.

Best Independent Game

Firewatch

Hyper Light Drifter

Winner: Inside

Stardew Valley

The Witness

Thoughts: Inside looked pretty interesting, but I don’t know if it was that great since I never played it. The Witness was probably too complex  for some people, and Firewatch…damn, I need to play it already.

Best Mobile/Handheld

Clash Royale

Fire Emblem Fates

Monster Hunter Generations

*sigh* Winner: Pokémon GO

Severed

Thoughts: Uhm….okay, Pokémon GO is barely a game. It’s an AR simulation where you only barely do anything Pokémon related other than catch, battle, and the most bare essentials of this kind of game. Hell, Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter are fully fleshed games, and they got passed over for a fleeting fad? Wow.

Best VR Game

Batman: Arkham VR

EVE: Valkyrie

Job Simulator (LOL)

Winner: Rez Infinite

Thumper

Thoughts: None, really. Haven’t tried anything VR related yet, nor do I plan to any time soon.

Best Action Game

Battlefield 1

Winner: Doom

Gears of War 4

Overwatch

Titanfall 2

Thoughts: Well, Doom won something else at least. I don’t get this category and the logic behind its nominees, but hey, if Doom wins, that’s fine.

Best…Ughh, Action/Adventure Game

Winner: Dishonored 2

Hitman

Hyper Light Drifter

Ratchet & Clank

Thoughts: From what I played, Dishonored 2 was boring and overcomplicated (narrative-wise) compared to the original. Again, a genre that needs a bit more clarification, especially if Uncharted 4 (arguably the most genre-defining of this category) got snubbed for a half-stealth title.

Best RPG

Dark Souls 3

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Winner: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood & Wine DLC

World of Warcraft: Legion

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Thoughts: So DLC can be nominated for a full game category now? Wow, that’s annoying as hell. For me, Dark Souls 3 is the best RPG this year, rivaled only by Final Fantasy XV.

Best Fighting Game

Killer Instinct Season 3

King of Fighters XIV

Pokken Tournament

Winner: Street Fighter V

Thoughts: Well…good for it. Not a fighting game fan, so don’t care about this category.

Best Strategy Game

Winner: Civilization 6

Fire Emblem Fates

The Banner Saga 2

Total War: Warhammer

XCOM 2

Thoughts: Haven’t played any of these, so no comment.

Best Family Game

Dragon Quest Builders

LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Winner: Pokémon GO

Ratchet & Clank

Skylanders: Imaginators

Thoughts: Now this is a category where Pokémon GO deserved to win.

Best Sports/Racing

FIFA 17

Winner: Forza Horizon 3

MLB The Show 16

NBA 2K17

Pro Evolution Soccer 2017

Thoughts: Sports games aren’t my thing, so no comment.

Best Multiplayer

Battlefield 1

Gears of War 4

Overcooked

Winner: Overwatch

Titanfall 2

Thoughts: Okay, Overwatch wins here, and I’m okay with that. Titanfall 2 had the better multiplayer, IMO, but Overwatch still deserves it.

*sigh* Most Anticipated Game

God of War

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Red Dead Redemption 2

Winner: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Thoughts: Look, I know people like to get excited for things, but can we stop perpetuating hype culture already? We all remember what happened with No Man’s Sky, Destiny (for some), and…almost any Ubisoft game ever made, among many other examples.

Trending Gamer

AngryJoeShow

Winner: Boogie2988

Danny O’Dwyer

JackSepticEye

Lirik

Thoughts: Congrats to Boogie for being such a lovable and popular guy.

The rest of the categories are all fan-voted like trending gamer and I didn’t really care to write them all down. What do you guys all think of this year’s results? I thought the show was just a way for corporations to suck each other off and congratulate themselves, especially Blizzard with its incessant need to make Overwatch the greatest thing since pockets. Hideo Kojima won the Industry Icon Award, but it seems like it was more out of spite for Konami and to vindicate the man’s legacy. Not to say he didn’t deserve it, as he deserves everything he gets for creating one of the most monumental game series ever conceived, but that didn’t come across well enough during the presentation, which also saw another strange Kojima style trailer for Death Stranding.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.