System Wars removed from Forums
  • POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Mar 22, 2016

I originally wanted this place to do everything gamespot did only better, for this reason System Wars was brought over as a possible place for gamers to vent about the console wars. Truth is though, I am quite tired of the unnecessary bullshit real gamers have to deal with because of these console wars. Retarded fanboys who love a gaming brand more than the games themselves spewing toxic ideals for the sake of belittling other gamers.

The more I thought about it the more obvious it became, I want gamers to share their love for gaming, not their hatred for another platform, and System Wars would only promote the opposite.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Mar 22, 2016

My 2 cents: I would zap even more forums/subforums. As it stands, it feels like a large mansion with a bunch of empty rooms instead of a cozy cottage. I can attest based on experience that if you start with just enough forums, the new ones will sprout organically as they become needed. And in that way, this place can find its own identity more easily.

For example, you may come to realize that it doesn’t need a separate forum for each system, and instead what it really wants is a centralized news discussion forum or a centralized review/currently playing forum. The broader and less confined you start, the more easily you’ll be able to see the direction the amalgamation is growing so you can cut open a sleeve for that limb.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Mar 24, 2016

I thought about your response and I agree, there were too many sub forums for a site as small as ours. As a result I have scaled back to a total of 4 categories. General Gaming Discussion(aka Shooting the Shit), Off-Topic, Error Reporting, and a brand new category for sharing news sources to be converted into news articles on the page by aspiring journalists or hobbyists.

I’ll be looking for suggestions for a general rule set and guidelines post for the new section. I hope eventually many news articles may be posted there, but not necessarily all get turned into news. Not every tweet needs to have it’s own article.

POSTED BY elheber on Mar 24, 2016

So we can post short news bits and sources that you or others can turn into a full article? Sounds pretty neat. So for example, I would post the Nintendo NX controller rumors that I recently posted on that forum, correct?

That’s the basic idea. Someone could post a link to an official source and a short description of what to expect when you view that source, and someone else can ‘claim’ that article for themselves and go write it up.

A good example is when Ryan McCaffery interviewed Phil Spencer and had that on his show on IGN. Someone could basically post a link to that video with the summary “Phil Spencer discusses Xbox Live Arcade, upgradable consoles, and Xbox One games on Windows 10.”

From there, whoever claims the article will visit the link, do the research, and reply with how long they expect it to take them to write up the article. Should the task not be completed in that amount of time, someone else can steal the article from them.

Or at least that’s how the idea I have works in my head, I’m sure it won’t work that way in real life. lol

POSTED BY elheber on Mar 24, 2016

But reviews/previews/impressions are still fair game for multiple authors, right? No claiming needed on those yet I’m guessing (hoping).

Yes, and there really is nothing preventing anyone from writing the same news article twice. However any article that does get written more than once would have no chance of making the home page, even after the community moderation tools are launched. If a post gets marked as a re-post, the original article gets first shot at featured status, if the community downvotes the hell out of that article then an alternative post would be considered at the discretion of a member of the staff or the community of featured content editors. Like everything else I came up with, I just had to make it really fucking complex. lol

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.