Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer 2: What Do You Guys Think?
  • POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Sep 28, 2017

So the new trailer is out. I’m sure many will agree that Red Dead Redemption 2 is probably one of the top 3 games of 2018 right now, but I wanted to see what you guys thought after seeing the new trailer.

Sounds like it’s going to be a prequel, only thing we really know is that this is related to Dutch and his gang. Here’s the vid released this morning…

Personally I’m excited to play another RDR game, Spring 2018 can’t come quick enough.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY Fudge Golem on Sep 29, 2017

I’m excited by another RDR game, so I’ll definitely find a way to play it even though it doesn’t seem like it’s coming to PC.

But I’m a bit disappointed it’s a prequel. We were literally all set up to play┬áJack Marston after the original, and it would have been an interesting story: In the last game, Jack avenges his father at the risk of straying too close to following the same path. In the RDR2 I was expecting, the era of the west is at its end, the last stagecoach is robbed in 1916, and WWI pulling men into the meat grinder. Jack would have to deal with changing times, improving technology, the Great War, and becoming his own man outside of the incredibly broad shadow cast by his father even after his death.

However, Jack does say that he “wanted to become a writer”. So it is possible that he fulfilled that dream, put down his gun after avenging his father, and this prequel game is Jack documenting his father’s exploits. If that is the angle they are taking, that could be cool and I could buy it a little more.

But I’m not sure about that. It looks like the main character is Arthur Morgan, who is a bit of a monster. The focus not being on John, seems to suck the wind out of my Jack as a writer theory. However, its the safest way to do a prequel, in that we are following a character who is a huge asshole, who is probably going to butt heads with John Marston, making John’s crimes not seem as bad. But maybe it could have a interesting angle of John trying to redeem Arthur as his own disillusion with Dutch’s gang grows? I’m not sure I’m sold on that yet.

All that said, I don’t like to speculate too much on trailers. People get all bent out of shape before they know what the real story is. We know too little to say this game will be great or terrible so far. I’m sure the visuals will be amazing and I’ll just stop my horse to look at the landscape sometimes, the little slices of life will be touching, and hopefully the skinning & flower picking dialogue won’t drive me insane. I’m going to play the game and will have an opinion then.

And I just need to keep reminding myself that there is no point in getting disappointed that someone else’s story didn’t go the way I thought it would. That just means that the story I wanted is still on the table to be told!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Fudge Golem.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Oct 05, 2017

I never played the first one, so I’m not coming into it with an inherent love for the series. I’m also not a huge old-west person. But this does look really good. I may give it a try at some point. I think I’d find exploring the wilds more rewarding than the cityscape sandbox of GTA

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 05, 2017

D=

You should go back and give RDR a try if you can. It’s playable on PS3 X360 and X1 if you have any of those systems and is highly recommended.

I’m not a big Western fan either, but holy shit does that game have an amazing story. There are very few games that hit me in the feels, this game was one of them. That ending! Argh!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.