Readability Checker
  • POSTED BY elheber on Jan 09, 2017

At the risk of sounding like a promotion, I wanted to share a neat website I came across that you can use to check how readable your writing is. When you’re done writing, just copy and paste your text into this thing and check out what needs fixin’. I’ve only played around with it so far, but it seems useful as fuuuuck.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jan 09, 2017

I like the idea. There is a ‘readability grade’ through the Yoast SEO plug-in on the site, but it doesn’t really show you where you could improve at. The one thing I don’t get about this tool though, I copied over my NieR: Automata quickie to see how it graded that article. It gave me an 8 with two sentences that were hard to read(yellow highlight). So I fixed that using the editor, checked the new score to see how it had improved, it dropped to 5… Wait, what? Improving the readability lowered my score?

I think I’ll still use it to see if there are any really serious errors though. It does provide good insight, just the one odd issue with the scoring system.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Jan 09, 2017

It’s like golf scoring. You want to approach zero.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jan 09, 2017

Oh really? Don’t play golf much. That makes sense then. I’m used to everything being the higher the score the better.

POSTED BY Fudge Golem on Oct 04, 2017

Good find elheber, I definitely used this. It yelled at me because I love my long sentences!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.