"Quickies" - New miniature article type, please provide feedback.
  • POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Sep 12, 2016

I originally posted this in the Error Reporting section but I want to get the word out so I’m moving this to Shooting the Shit. Let me know what you think.

So we are going to introduce a new type of News Article called a “Quickie” with a small visual cue in the top corner to indicate the different type of article. These will generally be for news that do not have much meat to them, 1 to 1.5 paragraphs in length(i.e. 1 paragraph + 1 sentence). The internal page will be much shorter and condensed, but still have the majority of the content found on other pages, just no excessive imagery or galleries. Basically the page will only feature the basic information, short article, voting system, ad system and comments below that.

I’m including a screenshot of how this will appear on the home page, I’ll be adding this today or tomorrow, as well as a few quickies for both testing and to launch the program. I intend for the title to be treated as the summary, lets do our best job to ensure these do not become clickbait. I want people to know the news without being forced to click to get the single paragraph inside.

Let me know what you guys think of this idea, it’ll be up within 48 hours.

quickieexample

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Sep 12, 2016

First version of the quickies is up. Forza Horizon 3 Demo article.

screen-shot-2016-09-12-at-5-56-15-pm

Go comment on it, let me know what you think. The designer doesn’t like my work, I love it though!

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Sep 12, 2016

And here is version 2.0 already. Designer and I came to a compromise and this is the result. Still have to fix this for responsive screens(i.e. anything 900p or smaller will not display right, including phones and tablets).

screen-shot-2016-09-12-at-7-17-05-pm

POSTED BY elheber on Sep 13, 2016

This is what it looks like to me:

EDIT: Also, even in your examples I don’t see the author.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

Rob, I apologize for my rushed response (I’m at work). I see that you mentioned the bug already.

Anyway, I like the second look more but I have reservations about how they’ll work with some images. The block could cover the focal point in an image. At first, I was also afraid the opacity might not be high enough and that some of the colors bleeding through could make reading the text harder, but so far it feels surprisingly good.

What I don’t like about the long bar at the bottom is the paragraph length. Long paragraphs are not good for readability because scanning back to the left is a mental chore (especially if you have to find which line was next and you have to dart your eyes all the way back to get your bearings).

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Sep 13, 2016

Yeah, I must have missed adding in the author, I’ll add that tonight. As for the long text at the bottom that’s just there to try and convince someone to sign up and post to the site. If the site had more traffic I’d probably remove that entire line since it wouldn’t be necessary. As far as comments go I’m not sure how large those will end up, I really don’t have anything to fill the side of the page without making it look terrible.

I’m working on some of the responsive stuff now, you should see a change in the next few minutes.

Edit: Featured Image area should look good going forward, still have to fix below the image. Below the image may change dramatically since there is still a bunch of missing info(ads, galleries, likes/dislikes), I might even use these to fill the right side so comments aren’t full width.

The long paragraph I wrote about was the one from the first image.

You mean the content area(text on red background)?

The content area in the first example. It’s a black background. There’s no red square in that one.

Yeah, I just figured this out before you replied. Well damn, here I thought I had something nice and no one likes it. :(

POSTED BY kaenna on Sep 23, 2016

I’ve not been around so much lately but saw the “quickies” tonight when I came on the site. I like it personally. For me the primary goal is to give the key information in a concise manner without requiring the reader to click on the article itself and it succeeds in this from what I can tell. Essentially I was expecting something a bit like what the BBC news website has when something major happens (A scrolling banner at the top of the page with key info at a glance) and you have delivered from what I can tell.

No complaints from me!

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Sep 23, 2016

Glad to hear you’re liking it, I admit I struggled with the title for the CoD announcement today, too much info for the single line, but not enough for the whole article. But yeah, the biggest thing for me is transparency. I think we’ve achieved that with the quickies, no one will be fooled when they see the article, they’ll have a good idea of whether they want to click or not, and 90% of the time will have the most important info in the title.

So far it’s working pretty good, and it’s allowing me to be a bit more active with posting news since I don’t have to spend an hour or more crafting a quality read for users. I’m also hoping it’ll encourage others to jump in and start posting as well. I’ve been talking with elheber a lot about the difficulty curve with using the wordpress dashboard, hopefully i’ll be able to create a new tool that is easier to create a new post and see how it will look as you create it. Probably next on my list after we finish the v1 of the ad system.

Yeah man all it needs to do is deliver core info at a glance. The fact it is titled “quickie” is important too I would say because its not pretending to be a full article.

Yeah I really need to start posting, I’ve just been insanely busy with work and then a game dev project on the side. If I get chance I might try and get something started if not finished over the next few days. If you want I can let you know how I find posting?

Again it’s nice to see the site developing at a consistent rate, hoping I’ll be able to write content at a consistent rate in the near future and hopefully we can get some more exposure!

No pressure to write, if you’re busy that’s perfectly fine, we’ll be here when you have time and/or motivation. I’m just happy that people enjoy what we’re trying to build here. That alone will lead to growth as people tell their friends about this place and our name spread by word of mouth. It’ll take a while, but I think we can gain back the trust so many other gaming sites have lost with their users. And that by being honest and really spreading our love for gaming will be contagious.

Yes, I would love feedback on the current system and suggestions for the new one. The system elheber and I have discussed would be an advanced wysiwyg  that would basically have 3 or 4 questions to start, which then would bring you to a final form that takes on the exact same look and feel from the article itself. Basically the submission page would look exactly the same as the display page. The only problem I foresee is adding images to articles, I’ll have to get creative with that since I won’t be bringing in the full editor with an uploader, it’s mostly going to be selecting an image from a lightbox of some sort.

I’d like to hear more about your game dev project too. Another thing elheber and I have talked about is possibly working together on a game dev project ourselves. Though this would most likely happen after I finish this site. We talked about our game ideas recently and both had very similar thoughts on a game. I hope we get to make it because if we do it is going to be as awesome as this site is.

Yeah it’s been a busy period but I am itching to get some thoughts out there. Depending on time I’ll either aim to cover some of the League of Legends World Championships from next week or I’ll go for a review of World of Warcraft: Legion I think.

I’ll try and hit you up with feedback as much as I can in that case as it seems like every little will help. Personally I think ease of use is the main thing especially when encouraging newer users to start posting as a daunting interface may put people off. Obviously though you still need to incorporate all the core functionality.

This probably isn’t the place to discuss it in detail but I’m happy to discuss it with you outside of this forum post (otherwise we will be a little off topic I fear). That sounds pretty awesome, have you guys done much game dev before? I’d be interested to hear about the kind of game you are looking to work on!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by kaenna.

Definitely look to the Error Reporting section for feedback and suggestions, I check it every day, and post about new features in there once in a while. Truthfully I posted this topic in there and only moved it out of fear no one would see it.

As for the game, I still have to see what his thoughts are on it. We briefly talked about it after one of my Twitch streams the other night, but nothing is set in stone. I’m just super thrilled to have found an artist with very similar ideas to my own and am eager to see if anything will come from it.

It will definitely be a unique game, this much I can guarantee. If we get serious about it, I’ve got at least another programmer I can bring in, and may even convince the designer who provides the layout and look of this site to help out too. But yeah, we haven’t even spent much more than 1 hour discussing our idea, definitely looking forward to continuing that discussion with him as soon as possible.

I will do, generally when I log in I check to see if there are new posts or topics in all of the forum categories and respond to the ones I have something to say in. Since I haven’t used all of the features of the site yet I haven’t had any errors to report thus far but I will do my best to give you feedback as quickly as possible on any new featuresthat you add.

Edit (On Topic): One thing I’ve noticed is that you have a few threads up on the error/reporting category that you posted a month+ ago, things like ranks for users based on points etc. Are you still looking for feedback on these topics? I don’t wanna go and resurrect a load of threads with ideas if you’re already sorted on them!

I’ll keep that in mind if and when we start to work on the game.

Also, when you have a minute, check out this page as well… https://gamelust.com/summer-2016-update-list/

I keep my ‘todo list’ in the public blogs so anyone can get an idea of what our plans are and what we’re still developing. These are also good places to drop a suggestion, I consider all of them and if I think it’s best for the gamer I’ll do my best to make sure it gets built. I’ll probably start a Fall 2016 update blog in the near future, we’ve got a few more ideas in the pipelines. Still working on this whole emblem thing and I think I had an idea for another one, going to add an emblem for users who find errors in a post and correct us(since we find so many of the typos and poor grammar on gamespot all the time). That will be one of my main points of emphasis real soon, getting emblems done, and coming up with ideas for how we can make them fun.

Just checked out the todo list. There’s a lot of good stuff there which will be nice to have implemented. I like things like emblems a lot. If I think of any features which I feel would improve the site shall I post as a comment on that blog post? I feel that you have covered everything with your current list that I could think of but yeah.

In terms of making emblems fun, I think you should categorise them to an extent. So have emblems which are earned simply by using the site, stuff like X number of forum posts, X number of article comments, X number of reviews. That means that regular and consistent users will be rewarded just for using the site. I remember when I used to frequent the Elder Scrolls forums back when Oblivion came out and you could earn gold stars and ranks based on how many forum posts you had. I liked that because you were rewarded for simply using the forums and it did encourage me to stick around and help new Players etc.

On the other side however you could also have emblems for events or other things that the user would have to go out of their way to achieve. I’m not sure what you could have for this as of yet, perhaps during busy games periods such as Christmas you could make a list of Christmas time releases and anybody who writes an article/review of a game from that list could get a Christmas contributor 2016 emblem. This would encourage people to write content for current releases and during busy periods such as Christmas, the ideal situation would be to have as many people writing about new games as possible as there will simply be too many for one or two people to cover alone!

Also check my edit on my last post :)

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Sep 24, 2016

Yeah, the emblems idea is definitely going to be two different types of emblems. There will be many ways users will be rewarded for contributions. Emblems are just one of them. There will be the typical (10 articles, 10 reviews, 100 likes) type of emblems, plus the special ones like founder status(any user who uses the site before January 1st 2017. And stuff like the editor emblem.

As you’ve seen there will also be a leveling system similar to an RPG that will attach to the user. And you may have noticed another numerical value attached to the author name on a news article(or in the top authors section of the home page). The very first reward system I built basically awards 2 points for every news article and 5 for every review posted. Then 1 point is added for every like your posts receive. You can like your own post, therefore making the values 3 for news and 6 for a review. This is to encourage people to post more often and compete against each other, very similar to Xbox Live’s achievement system.

As for your edit, there is no penalty for necroing an old thread, if you have something to add, go ahead and speak your mind. I actually hate GameSpots policy on necroing threads, just because a topic is old doesn’t mean it isn’t still a valid topic for discussion.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Sep 24, 2016

Moving this back to Error Reporting since that is where it belongs. I believe all of our regulars have seen the new post type now.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Sep 28, 2016

I’m really digging the addition. It’s a smart move because it promotes activity by putting less pressure on the need to write something fluffed out beyond the source material

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Sep 28, 2016

Yeah, really glad you guys are liking it. Not only is it less pressure to pump out a huge article, it’s perfect for those times there simply isn’t enough information to build a full story on.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.