People are Uneducated or Stupid
  • POSTED BY elheber on Jul 23, 2016

I’m sorry I have to say this, but it’s true.

This morning, a huge curtain of smoke hangs over Los Angeles from the Santa Clarita “Sand” fire. The sunlight that filters through the smoke colored the entire city and sky a warm red/orange. It looks creepy as fuck, I’ll admit, but some of the people around me are calling it some kind of bad omen. What the fork? I thought we were past that cosmological superstitious shit since we found out that comets are just balls of ice, and not the foretelling of the king’s death.

So I overhear a co-worker of mine talk to another one. “See? Supposedly the sun is far away in the universe, but then why is it red right now?” He was able to see the fire from the highway on his commute this morning. “If the sun is so far away, how is the fire affecting it?” He was trying to make the point that the sun is actually really close and the sun is turning red because the smoke is reaching it.

I’m normally the kind of guy to let people be wrong (except on the internet, I know) but I could not, would not, should not ever let something this stupid be said in my vicinity. I tried my best to dumb this down as if I were explaining it to a 5 year old. Because one can only believe a 5 year old’s brain is the level he’s at if he thinks the sun is a bright little orb right above the clouds. I explained the smoke is like a filter… we work in screenprinting so color filters are something he understands. I told him the sun is the same as always but the light that is coming from the sun is being filtered like a sheet of red plastic.

He understood my explanation but apparently chose not to accept it because, “supposedly we’re spinning in the universe around the sun, but then why are the stars always in the same place? If we were moving through the universe, the stars would be different every night.”

Imagine a person pissed you off so much that you needed someone to hold you back. In my mind, I was screaming, “hold me back, Carl Sagan! Hold me back!”

This is America. How the fuck is this happening in America?

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 23, 2016

There is no money in educating everyone. The rich need the stupids to do all the actual labor so they can keep getting rich, and the employees have to be dumb enough to accept the idea that they can’t do any better. I’m a firm believer in the idea that you can be anything you want to be if you fight hard for it and never give up. Gamelust is an example of it. 15 years since it’s conception and I’m still fighting for it.

But I also believe a lot of people take advantage of the less informed, people like your friend. Not only that, I believe a lot of people are truly happier being stupid. I hate hearing someone say something retarded, but a part of me envies them because I know they’re probably happier than I am. Not saying I’d trade my intelligence for it, but sometimes it would be nice to have a taste of that ignorant bliss.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Jul 28, 2016

I don’t think the entire country’s population should have an education equivalent to an engineer or anything. I just wish everyone understood the basics. That they learned about critical thinking. “I see your numbers, now show me where you got them.” That they were skeptical at the right things. Instead of “global warming is a conspiracy, I don’t believe it,” they’d think, “hold on… should I believe the scientists or the politicians on global warming?” That they learned to trust grounded statistics more than their emotions.

I’m not asking for rocket scientists. Just social literacy.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.