Overwatch is My Jam
  • POSTED BY elheber on May 10, 2016

The open beta for Overwatch just finished and I have to say it’s nearly all I’ve wanted since Team Fortress Classic.

I’m gonna assume you guys already know about the massive influx of “hero shooters” that are dropping this year. Battleborn, LawBreakers, Paragon, and Gigantic are among the others I can name off the top of my head. And just to be clear, these are team-based shooters that are focused on unique heroes (as opposed to classes) each with their own special abilities that work on cool-down timers.

Anyway, Overwatch has a lot of things I like and a few things I don’t like. First of all, Blizzard really nailed its characters. Each hero is endowed with so much personality and you can really get endeared to the ones you play the most. Moreover, they each have very unique playstyles and fit a bunch of different tastes. The map design is fantastic, and it’s amazing how they were able to accommodate so many different characters so well (there’s plenty of ledges for the snipers, plenty of corridors for the flankers, wide spaces for the tanks, etc.). The combat is fast, chaotic and still somehow not confusing.

I also like how very few weapons are hitscan. For most weapons, you see the travel of the bullet however fast or slow, and it gives a sense of something to play against. You saw the throwing stars coming your way and in hindsight you could at least say, “I zigged when I should have zagged.” It rarely feels like you got hit by an unseen, unforwarned bullet from nowhere in particular (like storming the beaches of Normandy), but instead¬†like there’s someone you are playing with.

The negatives aren’t huge. I’m not a big fan of the cooldown systems; they feel like an extra thing to have to passively pay attention to. I wish they had found a better solution to limiting those special abilities, like perhaps having to prime some of them and/or manually reload others instead. My guess is that it’s just something I’ll have to get used to and it’ll become second nature after extended play like it probably did with MOBA players, but for now I’m just disliking pressing a button only to find right then and there that I didn’t have the ability yet. Being time-based just doesn’t feel intuitive enough for me, at least for now.

I really hate the post-game stat screen. Instead of showing a chart of everyone’s results, they just show what feels like a set of 4 or 5 arbitrary top stats like, “this player healed this much damage” or “this guy killed 8¬†guys with his special” when he was the only person with that special anyway. I don’t even need for it to be everyone’s results, just mine’s in relation to others. If I was the only healer, then I want to see a chart of every enemy listing how many times they killed me and of my teammates and how much health I gave them and how many kills they got while buffed by me. I just need a chart so I can make my own connections.

The chat system is broke as fuck. No it actually isn’t but it really got on my nerves. I want one button for team-chat and one button for all-chat. Instead the game makes you press a chat button, then Tab to switch between team-only and general-chat. This took me 2 days to figure out. At least give me the option of binding a button to one or the other.

I don’t pre-order games except for Nintendo games, but I’ll buy this game day-one provided nothing’s broken.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.