Out of Curiosity
  • POSTED BY Joel Castro on Oct 08, 2016

Is there gonna be some sort of GOTY discussion when the gaming year is finished? I feel like that would be a good way to get more people visiting the site. You know, having a healthy discussion about our favorite games instead of just throwing them up and saying “these are the games we like, deal with it.” Maybe we could livestream it over PlayStation party chat?

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Oct 09, 2016

GOTY discussion sounds fun

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 10, 2016

You know, I talked about something similar with elheber a few months ago. I’d love to do things like this in the future, but the truth is that we simply do not get enough traffic right now. I think I should be able to put some money into the site in the near future to help drive some more traffic our way. But so far the ‘word of mouth’ method isn’t really working very well.

One of the things I’ve had on the todo list since my very first one in the spring was to create a youtube show where we would do that kind of stuff. Talk about recent events, games we think are goty worthy, what we’ve been playing recently, all of that.

There was a youtube channel, Rev3Games I think it was called. Adam Sessler was on it, and those who know me know I am a huge fan of Sessler. One of the shows they would do every week was called Casual Friday, and a lot of the time it was just 3 of the main hosts sitting on a couch drinking beer and bullshitting about video games and whatever came up in the moment.

I was actually going to ask a couple of old friends if they’d like to make these videos with me, and basically I planned to make them the faces of gamelust. Unfortunately the main guy I wanted for the show blew me off, and before I could ask the second person I felt that he had already shifted his life towards a much bigger goal.

As for doing something in the near future, lets try to figure out a time when we’re all available and jump on PSN chat and just talk for a while. Get to know each other a little more. I think you guys will be a little surprised, I’ll be a bit more reserved the first few chats than the guy you see on GameSpot giving Eddie shit 24/7.

Rex, add me on PSN(xsuicidesn0wmanx).

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY Joel Castro on Oct 10, 2016

Well either way, getting to know each other is a good idea. So I’m game whenever you’re available.

POSTED BY kaenna on Oct 11, 2016

A little late to this discussion but I’ll add you over the weekend when I’m on the Playstation. In terms of traffic I feel that right now it’s all about starting the snowball effect really. I can point friends towards the site which may result in a few more users, however we need the site to be mentioned somewhere that has a lot of traffic in my opinion and that itself is pretty tricky.

Essentially I feel that the core ideals of the site such as the freedom for any user to contribute is enough for it to be successful, the primary issue is making the site easy for people to discover. From what I’ve read of the introduction thread so far, a lot of the current users found the site through Gamespot and SuicideSnowman mentioning it there.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 13, 2016

Sorry for the delayed response, I actually started writing this yesterday but I’ve been busy with work and forgot to submit the first part yesterday. So I’m adding more to the response today.

Getting the name out there in a high traffic area hasn’t worked so far. Beyond the social media work we’ve done with Twitter and Facebook, I’ve tried to bring users in through Reddit, but every time we’ve tried that method we get a lot of toxic traffic. Everyone I have ever talked to about the site really likes the look of the site and how it works, but that hasn’t led to a lot of registrations. Users on reddit tend to read the article(usually in record time), then hit the back button within 30 seconds, which is deadly for our google rankings.

I think the best thing we can do is actually invite our friends like you suggested, though that isn’t as easy as it sounds. The key is figuring out how to encourage more user interaction, which I have clearly failed to do so far. I think we’ve got a decent mix of writers right now, we’ve got a few new writers who are at least giving the site a look as well. I’ve also had a new idea on how to encourage more writers to join us, but I’ll save that for another thread later today.

I think the key is getting some kind of user interactivity going, we get between 40-50 users looking at the site every day, sometimes as high as 60 or 70 on a good day. If we can get a few of those people to interact with the site, then things definitely will snowball out of control. I’m just hoping when that happens that everything I setup to handle it is working.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Oct 18, 2016

I’ll reach out to a few folks, and see if this gets some more members – I’m not well connected in the gaming world, though. I live a fairly hermit-like gaming existence, mainly built around escaping the stress of my job :-P

POSTED BY elheber on Oct 19, 2016

I’d love to start a no-stakes betting pool on what games we think we’ll win in each category from a selected publication. It’s a sidelong way of letting us tell each other what our personal picks would be.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY Joel Castro on Oct 19, 2016

I like that idea, Elheber. I’m usually pretty good at guessing Gamespot and Game Informer. They’re kinda predictable (except for GS on 2013. But that’s because they rated The Last of Us lower than everyone else did).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.