Nintendo Switch Discussion
  • POSTED BY elheber on Oct 19, 2016

Update:

It’s the Nintendo Switch. Wanna talk, but gotta go to work.

Original Post:

So tomorrow the code name NX is finally being revealed in what may just be a trailer or a full-on Nintendo Direct. Nintendo streams on their website, on YouTube and on Twitch, and they’ll likely post a link via twitter some time before it starts.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by elheber.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY Joel Castro on Oct 20, 2016

Did they specify a time?

Edit: nevermind. 10 AM. just found out

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Joel Castro.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 20, 2016

Damnit, I came in to work today expecting it to be at like 11 or 12.

Is it only the 3 minute trailer?

I definitely like what I see, guarantee I get one on day 1 with the new Zelda.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

So it looks like the NX is actually called Nintendo Switch. It seems to be some sort of home console/handheld hybrid. It has two controllers on each side that can either function as one unit or be separated to form separate controllers. Although there does seem to be a more traditional controller in the mix as well.

RDR2 trailer in 90 seconds as well.

https://www.twitch.tv/rockstargames

I wonder if it’ll come to the Switch, timing is curious to me.

Guess not, RDR2 was a bit underwhelming, too short. Switch in some ways too, didn’t reveal the details I was hoping for.

It’s all a bunch of teasers, which means there’s a bigger announcement around the corner. For RDR2, we’ll be hearing new stuff about the game throughout 2017 (maybe it’ll have a big showing at next year’s E3). Same likely goes for the Nintendo Switch.

POSTED BY elheber on Oct 20, 2016

I shouldn’t be doing this at work, but I just had to rush an article out. The console itself is made of three parts that each have their own battery. I mean… what’s the cost going to be for this thing?

That said, I’m kind of pumped about this. Moreso about the games, though. The Mario and Splatoon sequel tease have me pumped.

Every rumor I have seen so far indicated the price would be $299.99. I’ve never been much of a Nintendo fan after the N64, pretty much grew out of their products during the GameCube era. I think I’m genuinely excited for this product though.

Man, you missed out with the Gamecube if that’s true. Two excellent Zelda titles, that are arguably the best in the series, an underrated Mario called Sunshine, THE best 3D Metroid games ever made, and arguably the beginning of the Smash Bros craze with Melee. Not to mention the best version of Resident Evil 4, the most comfortable controller ever made, and a fantastic library of amazing, genre-defining titles.

Honestly, I own all of those games except Prime Echoes(which I’m trying to find at a decent price). I thought Sunshine was good, as was Prime. Never been a big fan of RE or fighting games, mostly because I’m terrible at them. Hell, I have 3 copies of Windwaker(one sealed), just never really sat down and spent much time with the machine. I think 75% of my time went into gaming on Xbox Live or Online PS2 games, the rest was GTA.

POSTED BY elheber on Oct 20, 2016

The Switch is good enough in concept that’ll I’ll buy it eventually. They’d really have to f*** this one up royally for me to not buy-in. I’m talking a launch price over $400, or a revelation that it lasts for only 3.5 hours per charge.

I don’t know how I’ll play Splatoon if the NS doesn’t have gyro control.

POSTED BY elheber on Oct 21, 2016

I just realized the Switch might not have any user-accessible internal storage at all. The portable unit certainly won’t have a HDD, and a SSD might be too expensive currently. If the games themselves are 30GB each, what would be the point of 128GB of internal storage? You’d be forced to constantly swap the games you keep within the internal storage.

Think about it. Given that the game cards are potentially as fast as an SSD anyway, there would be no need to install games. And no pictures of the system so far have revealed any SD slots anywhere on the device. Nintendo already told IGN that the dock is essentially only for TV output and recharging (and IMO for cooling) so it likely doesn’t have a HDD.

This could mean little support for retail size games in the eShop for the Nintendo Switch.

My best guess is that there would be an SD slot somewhere, perhaps even behind the battery, but that the system itself doesn’t have any user-accessible storage.

POSTED BY elheber on Oct 25, 2016

I want to point out the little nubbin right there and on the other side. During multiple shots, people have their hands positioned to press that button when separating the Joy-Cons from the tablet.

Another important thing to point out, which I missed in my article, was this following shot:

In the background, you’ll see a sign that reads, “Free Charge.” It turns out these two strangers aren’t sitting on the floor because they want to. No sir. They are sitting on the floor because they are tethered to the charging wall. Why? Because the Nintendo Switch probably has horrendous battery life. This is the director whispering a warning to us.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Oct 26, 2016

I think the Switch is a great design. It’s going to / has pissed off a lot of the pixel counters, but I think it’s a given at this point that Nintendo is no longer in the power race. Their strength is in their software and in portable gaming at this time, and a console that can deliver those in addition to consoleish stuff is very appealing to me. It’s a console that, if I buy it, will expand the types of gaming I can do. Another PS or XBox won’t do jack in that regard

POSTED BY elheber on Oct 26, 2016

I agree with you, Rex.

Personally, I wished Nintendo would have made a $200 no-frills console. At that price, they could sell the console with just a few good first party games. Zelda, Mario, Smash, F-Zero, Metroid, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Virtual Console, $200, done. No begging third-parties to join in; let them join later once the thing sells freighter-loads.

The Switch is just this but maybe $100-150 more, so all-in-all I’m satisfied. Considering games are supposed to be played on the TV, games will likely not force touchscreen controls or dual-screen gameplay. In essence, it’s got normal controllers with the exception that they optionally detach.

All that said, I am concerned that everyone will have 4K televisions in their living rooms in a couple of years. Maybe Switch games will run well enough at about 1080p. But if it can’t do HDR when every other system by then is doing it, it could turn people away.

POSTED BY elheber on Oct 27, 2016

Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima (tentative position) was interviewed on Bloomberg. One thing caught my eye the most: He said, “it may be appropriate to call them accessories. Or it might be better to call them add-on hardware. It’s probably more correct to call them accessories. You can assume that there will be a wider array.” Bloomberg’s interview article didn’t mention what question led to this response, so it isn’t absolutely clear what Kimishima was trying to say with this. It sounds like he’s optimistic about turning the Nintendo Switch into an “ecosystem” of add-on hardware.

I think I’ve made it clear how much I don’t want the Switch to be some sort of accessory delivery device, so this is bad news for me.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 27, 2016

Weren’t they trying to make the console itself an accessory? I remember seeing a patent of theirs where the system was able to be daisy chained to increase the capabilities of the overall experience.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.