Need input for new article on the shady advertising used on popular gaming sites
  • POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Mar 29, 2016

Long story short, this is the article I’ve wanted to write since I started building this current version of gamelust. I have grown tired of the way things are written on major gaming media sites like GameSpot and IGN. With the way GameSpot in particular feeds the trolls with heavy bias against a particular platform. Titles worded specifically so you have to click through in order to see what should have been the title to start with. Using all the tricks to increase SEO and ad views per click. Long gone are the days when websites would get clicks by providing the highest quality content possible, and I don’t want my gaming site to be like those giant ‘slideshow sites’ that have more ads per page than content and titles like “Chicago Mom Discovers Secret To Weight loss!”

Currently the title is going to be “Shamespot – The Art of Using Journalism as Advertising”, though I’m open to suggestions for a better title. I’m looking for examples that compare articles from multiple sites featuring the same source that highlights quality content/titles and unbiased opinion from one site, and the opposite from another.

A good example would be the Rocket League article posted on GameSpot after the Xbox One version of the game had been played by over 1 million users.

Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 10.31.13 AM

When this was posted I went to the original source, gathered the information I needed and wrote my own version of the article the way it should have been written in the first place.

Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 10.31.30 AM

Is it possible someone might read the title and not click-thru to the article? Sure, though I do not believe the percentage of people who would click-thru the two different articles is all that different. Yet the GameSpot article tries to force users to click the link, just so they can throw another 9 static ads and 2 looping ads on the page, and ajax in another 2-4 ads post page load as they swap in other news articles you never asked to see.

So yeah, this is the ‘rant’ I am about to write, but I don’t want to focus solely on one gaming site, I want to put the spotlight on them all. GameSpot, IGN, Kotaku, Polygon, Destructiod and any other mainstream gaming media site that is not directly affiliated with one of the major gaming companies(i.e. NintendoWorld, XboxWire, or even Dual Shockers).

If anyone has anything else to add while I write this up, let me know.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Mar 29, 2016

Have you ever heard of Buttered Coffee?

I’ll ask you to read this one article from Bloomberg Business last year: “Buttered Coffee Could Make You Invincible

Now that you read it, doesn’t it sound awfully like a huge fluff piece on this Dave Asprey? It’s literally an investment ad disguised as an article. Notice that this doesn’t have any disclosure of this being sponsored anywhere. So when I saw this, I did a Google search for “buttered coffee” and the results I found were astonishing. Every article not debunking it read like an advertisment. Fox even gave a recipe on a separate page that included “Bulletproof® Upgraded™ Brain Octane™ or Bulletproof® Upgraded™ MCT Oil.” Why a separate page? Because the recipe was sponsored content, so including the recipe on the same page would have made the article require the sponsored tag. HOLY FUCK.

I’m pointing this out because this shit happens even with larger reputable publications, and there’s no way IGN, GS, Kotaku, etc. aren’t playing this game too. It’s just easier for them to hide it because they report on the industry they’re selling. If Kotaku reports on buttered coffee, you’d know something is wrong… but if Chow.com reports on buttered coffee, they’re able to hide the advertisement much easier. I’m acutely aware of when gaming sites seem to report a little too much on a particular game, giving it tons of free press, and it makes me wonder how free that press actually is.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Mar 29, 2016

Yeah, that’s half of the argument for me, the other half is this trend that ‘controversy sells’, and the fact it is being applied to the news we consume. If people want to try and bait in the comments that’s fine, the voting system will show who agree’s and who does not(on here at least). But I don’t want the article itself to set the tone before I even get to the comments. Tell me the relevant data and let me form my own opinion first, then I’ll go to the comments to discuss that opinion.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Apr 26, 2016

I felt that the article was ready to go, though after a little bit more thought I don’t think it quite hits the points I want it to hit. I have put the article back into draft status until I can get the message across better.

POSTED BY elheber on Apr 27, 2016

I commented on it, but it seems the article is hidden for now. I hope my comment didn’t disappear. Luckily I saved it on my clipboard:

Five days ago, GameSpot published a juicy article titled The Division’s New Bug Makes the AI Work For You, which reported that the game infamous for bugs has yet another glitch for players to exploit. I can’t recall the subtitle anymore, but it poked fun of The Division having yet another bug right after the last one was fixed. Problem was, the source they cited was a post on Reddit that was (if you looked down far enough in the thread) pointed out to be a hoax. It was satire.

Naturally, people in the comments did more research than the editor and pointed out in the comments that the news was bull. I asked for either the editor to verify his source or offer a correction in an update. The article was simply taken down, and now the link brings you to a 404 page. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dont-publish-the-divisions-new-bug-makes-the-ai-wo/1100-6439091/

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Apr 27, 2016

Yeah, your comment was saved. It just didn’t show up because it seems any comment that contains a link automatically gets moderated just to protect us from spam. I’ll address that sometime in the future, still working on getting our form of ‘advertising’ up on the site.

POSTED BY elheber on Apr 27, 2016

By the way, the GameSpot reporting the same news twice from the same source (the 18 Million XBOs Shipped) is hilarious.

It reminds me of a time on the forums of GameFAQs where someone posted a confirmation of a rumor that had previously been posted on the forums.

LOL, yeah the article 18 million Xbox Ones article is referenced as well. I thought it was hilariously bad and can’t believe they haven’t yet deleted it.

When I went to post this I decided to inquire with someone I had met on reddit who has been very helpful towards people who want to become games journalists. I wanted to know what he thought of the topic, and after some discussion with him over the past 12 hours, I have decided that if I were to publish this article, I would be no better than the journalists I sought to condemn.

I have come up with some ideas on how we can promote our content creators on the site though. I will be posting these new ideas in the Error Reporting section, also that area needs a new title that encourages more feedback. Half of the posts in there are not even bug reports.

One other thing, I think this article will re-appear in these forums at some point, but reworded as a guide of what to avoid while posting content on our site.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.