Multiplayer action on the cheap: Blacklight: Retribution
  • POSTED BY EzioThePrez on Dec 21, 2015

I don’t know about you, but I love online multiplayer. While it can be frustrating at times, when it works it’s pure gold. Blacklight: Retribution, a game developed by Hardsuit labs, is a free to play online game that allows you to kill people across the globe without needing a PlayStation Plus subscription.

It comes off as generic at a glance, but turns into a fresh game. It borrows ideas from standard FPS traditions (including capture the flag, deathmatch, etc…), but makes them a lot better than you’d expect. Just because it’s a free to play business model does not mean it’s crap. It doesn’t exist just to make a quick buck, not at all. Of course, there are micro transactions available, but they’re completely optional. Things like guns, modifications and some armour types can be bought by earning game points. I say some because if you want to get flashy, over the top gear, then you’ll be forced to shell out actual money, but hear me out. Since it’s nearing Christmas (yay!), prices have been permanently slashed on almost everything. If you save up enough points, you’ll be able to buy that gun that required a prime membership a few months ago. Level restrictions have also been removed, you can now get any gun you want despite being a low level. They’ve improved on the system, and I like it.

While the gameplay itself is very good, it has some issues at the time of posting this thread. You can clip through walls and flooring, the game crashes quite a bit and there are a few hit detection problems. I once shot a guy in the chest with a bolt action rifle after almost killing him with the first shot, but it passed right through his chest and he was able to kill me. What’s worth mentioning, however, is the reworked netcode. Around the time when I first discovered this game on the PS Store, it was buggy as hell, often disconnected after a few seconds of gameplay. Nowadays, it’s better than ever, allowing you to play without worry. So, if you’re a fan of some FPS action, and you want some free multiplayer, get this game. It’s worth it.

-|EzioThePrez|-

-|EzioThePrez|-

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Dec 21, 2015

You know you can post reviews to the main review list, doesn’t have to be a forum post. Only mention this because I’m worried we’re not doing a good job making it clear that this is possible. It’s been a challenge to get that information out on the main page without sacrificing too much space for the main feed.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY EzioThePrez on Dec 22, 2015

Yeah I know, I’ll be posting once I can work around the new system. It’s kind of a headache to be honest, especially since I’m used to Gamespot’s way of reviewing. I will review eventually though.

-|EzioThePrez|-

-|EzioThePrez|-

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Dec 22, 2015

No problem, just wanted to make sure.

I’ll be setting up a new form that fits the site theme a bit better in the near future, let me know if you have any suggestions to make the process easier. I will be adding links to add a review to other reviews of each game, as well as the game pages themselves. Only problem then is the fact I haven’t caught up on adding new games. I hope…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.