Most underrated PS4 titles?

Tagged: , ,

• POSTED BY EzioThePrez on Dec 15, 2015

With me being a PS4 owner, the best thing to do is get the best games right? I’ve being seeing a wide variety of reviews about all kinds of games available on the system and honestly I think some of them don’t get enough attention. Watching games get left in the dark is something that I truly hate to see, as a lot of games that go unnoticed are usually diamonds in the rough. It goes on with every console, with certain games not living up to their hype and some that are good without generating any hype whatsoever. I’ve come up with a few entries myself, and more than a few people will definitely disagree, so I would appreciate it if you could respond to this in a mature way.

The Crew: An open world racing game that allows you to drive all over the USA, it was built up to be a game for many people to enjoy. While the in game community is large, a lot of people criticize the game for having below average graphics, poor controls, clunky menus and glitches galore. That’s not the game I experienced at all. To see what the game was like, I downloaded the demo from the PS Store which includes two hours of gameplay for you to try out. The missions were great, the controls were tight, I encountered zero glitches and most importantly, it was fun. Sometimes I wonder if I’ve even played the same game as everybody hating on it, but you know what? I thought it was a nice game to play. The Crew has recently released an expansion DLC called ‘Wild run‘ which includes more cars, bikes and some other content, so if you’re interested in getting the game, try and get the DLC if you can.

Evolve: Turtle Rock studios, the same guys behind the Left 4 Dead series, created a similar game for the current generation of consoles. It features a group of humans armed to the teeth with weapons trying to kill a frightening creature before things get worse. This game isn’t nearly as hated as the last entry, but it does receive some unwanted hate. The game is by no means perfect, but it gets a decent amount of things right. People complained about the lack of content on offer, the empty online and the absence of a story. Despite those issues, once you get past them you’ll start to have a great time playing, even if the difficulty is both too easy and too hard. I say this because controlling the human characters couldn’t get any easier, but fighting as the monster ends up with me dying almost minutes after starting a new session. Maybe I’m just bad, but please give this a shot.

Styx: Master of Shadows: If you’ve never heard of this, I don’t blame you. A stealth game set in a medieval world, you take control of Styx, a murderous goblin, who’s on a mission to steal the heart of a world tree in order to get a better understanding of his origin, since he is the first Goblin ever created. It’s a genuinely overlooked gem, with people not caring about it because of the way it looks. It’s not a pretty looking game by any means but that doesn’t stop it from being pleasantly surprising. It’s glitchy, annoying, ropey and unforgiving at it’s worse, but it’s excellent at it’s finest. Available at a low price everywhere you go, you’d be a fool not to give it a go. Yes it doesn’t include multiplayer or any features beyond replaying story missions, but they’re so good in their execution that you won’t get bored playing them.

So, those were just a few examples of underrated games currently on the market for the PS4. If you have any of your own, or you would like to post some feedback about the games shown above, feel free to post a comment, or make a post of your own.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by EzioThePrez. Reason: Fixed a spelling mistake
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by EzioThePrez.

-|EzioThePrez|-

-|EzioThePrez|-

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Dec 15, 2015

I think the most underrated titles on the PS4 are some of most hyped so far. Starting with Infamous: Second Son, one of the first games this gen I played from start to finish without interruption(multiple sessions, no other games between). The other title, The Order:1886, universally panned by critics and fans alike before even playing the game. I absolutely loved the game and gave it a 90 in my review. Both are fantastic games, but rarely do I hear a Playstation fan actually recommending them to others.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY EzioThePrez on Dec 16, 2015

I couldn’t agree with you more. The thing that really bugs me though? Sheep followers. People who stick with franchises even when they know that they’re bad. They’ll keep shelling out so much money on things that aren’t worth buying. The games that you mentioned are a prime example of games that get shafted into obscurity not too long after they launch. However if you actually buy them for a low price, or you’re into that particular series, you’ll end up loving them. I own a lot of games that people constantly hate on, and I mean a lot. I’ve currently got my eye on Lords of the Fallen, which is a Dark Souls-esque RPG. Now since I haven’t played a Souls game before, and I want to get into the games, why not start at the easier option first? To me the game looks wonderful, but swarms of people can’t stand it. I reckon if they would play it for themselves, they’d start to enjoy themselves, but hey that’s just me.

-|EzioThePrez|-

-|EzioThePrez|-

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Dec 16, 2015

Lords of the Fallen is still a fairly tough game, played it with a friend shortly after it came out and I think it took us 3 or 4 tries to get past the first boss. It’s easier, but no where near easy.

When approaching a Souls game, remember patience is key. Take it one enemy at a time whenever possible, and dodge often, don’t get caught mid-swing.

So basically zone enemies out? That’s virtually my main instinct when tackling enemies in games. I shouldn’t have too many problems when facing one then, unless of course, they are a lot stronger than I am. Thanks for the tip. As for Lords of the Fallen, I’ve seen a clip on the first boss, and he looks rather easy to be honest. His attacks are slow, his weak spot seems fairly obvious and you have plenty of room around you. Still, he could be a complete nightmare to fight in the real thing, I’ll find out in a few weeks maybe.

-|EzioThePrez|-

-|EzioThePrez|-

Zone enemies out? Not sure what you mean by this. I would still kill all of the enemies, just take them one at a time unless they’re not along the main path. And yes, most enemies are fairly strong, they can kill you in 2-3 hits in most Souls games if you rush in and try to fight multiple.

You’ll find out when you get to that first boss, not as easy as he looks, but easy for a souls game. Also watch for enemies around corners, the corridors can be pretty slim early on and creates for some jump scares since the camera can’t see around the corner, and don’t fight the guy at the top of the stairs head on, dodge and back stab.

Zoning enemies out is to generally time your attacks and movements, plus I would never rush anybody. I don’t do it anyway, but I certainly won’t be doing it in a Dark Souls inspired game. Hell no, last time I checked, I wasn’t looking for an early gaming grave.

-|EzioThePrez|-

-|EzioThePrez|-

You’ll probably get an early gaming grave anyway, I think it took 8 or 9 tries to get past the first boss, with 4 or 5 tries just to get TO the boss.

POSTED BY EzioThePrez on Dec 17, 2015

Would you describe Lords of the Fallen to be a decent game despite it’s rather cruel difficulty? I know that’s what makes the Souls games all the rage but Lords of the Fallen was not made by From Software. It also has a revamped engine. Was it as creative as those games in terms of bosses, locations and characters?

-|EzioThePrez|-

-|EzioThePrez|-

POSTED BY elheber on Dec 18, 2015

In response to the topic at hand, I really want to sell S.O.M.A to people. It got excellent reviews but nobody is talking about it anymore and it was quickly forgotten by people. The biggest reason IMHO is that people dismiss it as a YouTube Let’s Play scare game when it actually isn’t. The game is 80% Sci-Fi and 20% Horror, with almost no jumpscares.

A lot of people have missed out on this mind-blowing game because of that misconception. People who like sci-fi stories like Blade Runner or The Prestige never even got the chance to know this game would be right in their wheelhouse.

As for The Order: 1886, I know it’s an OK game and not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but even the people that tell me how good it is haven’t been able to convince me to get it. Nothing –not reviews, videos, or recommendations– have been able convince me to pick that game up. I generally get a good idea of how much I will like a game with the way I gather information, and I fairly certain I won’t like that game.

I do want to check out this Stix game, though. I hadn’t heard of it. Thank you.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY EzioThePrez on Dec 20, 2015

You’ll enjoy Styx, trust me. The stealth feels very satisfying.

-|EzioThePrez|-

-|EzioThePrez|-

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Dec 21, 2015

Styx was free on PSN a few months ago. I tried it, personally wasn’t my style, may give it another try though.

POSTED BY EzioThePrez on Dec 21, 2015

I got it for free too. The game starts off slowly but after the introduction mission it picks up a lot. There are plenty of ways to accomplish missions. Different routes, secondary objectives and hidden collectibles are all present here. Aside from a few technical hitches, the game is fun as hell. You’ll love slaying the enemies in the game, as you’ll feel bigger and stronger, since you’re only a midget goblin. Overall, worth getting for free, but I wouldn’t exactly go over $35 or $40. There’s no multiplayer, no co-op play and replaying the same missions can get old. Still, once you play it for a bit, you’ll like it.

-|EzioThePrez|-

-|EzioThePrez|-

POSTED BY EzioThePrez on Dec 27, 2015

Little update for you, I have Lords of the Fallen and I absolutely love it. I beat the first boss on my second try, it was the second boss, the commander, that required some patience. As of now, I have beaten the worshiper and I’ve even opened the portal to the Rhogar dimension.

-|EzioThePrez|-

-|EzioThePrez|-

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Dec 29, 2015

I don’t think we beat the 1st boss while I was at his place, moved on to a different game that day. I think I may eventually get that game, not 100% sure though. Got too many games as it is.

POSTED BY Joel Castro on Mar 01, 2016

As far as underrated, I would have to go with Killzone: Shadow Fall. One, it is absolutely beautiful to look at, and not just from a graphical standpoint. The art design alone is nothing short of spectacular. Two, yes the story isn’t very strong, but neither were they strong in the first 3 Killzone titles. It’s a fun story that gets the job done and even has some interesting things to say here and there. Three, the gameplay is actually really well done (aside from the gimmicky and pointless motion control sections), doing a good job of blending linear corridor shooting with a more open-ended Far Cry style of play in the larger combat zones. Is it better than most shooters? Depends on what you’re comparing it to, but I certainly had fun with it.

I would say The Order: 1886, but after playing it…I have to give it my thumbs down. I have a review of it posted if you want to know my full thoughts on it, but I thought it was a pretty, but thoroughly disappointing affair overall.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Mar 06, 2016

I feel the same way about Killzone: Shadowfall, it was the first game I played this gen(got it on launch), and honestly was the first time I actually enjoyed a Killzone game.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.