Most Difficult Game Choices
  • POSTED BY Joel Castro on May 04, 2016

Title says it all. What’s the single hardest choice a game has given you?

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on May 04, 2016

This may be a bit of a spoiler if someone hasn’t played the game Advent Rising, though I’m sure responses here will probably be pretty spoiler heavy.

Click to reveal...

About halfway through the game you’re forced to choose between your wife and brother, one lives the other dies, and eventually becomes the final boss of the game. It was one of the first games I played that had a choice that would affect the game like this, and tbh, I still wouldn’t want to have to make that choice in a game again. It’s like playing an episode of The Walking Dead games by Telltale, but 10 years earlier.

[collapse]

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on May 05, 2016

Charmander or Squirtle.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY Joel Castro on May 06, 2016

Well, I recently came across one choice that was actually very difficult to justify and go through with. And it happened in the Season of Infamy DLC for Batman: Arkham Knight. Spoilers ahead, so be warned if you haven’t played this great additional content for an already fantastic game.

MAJOR BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT STORY SPOILERS AHEAD. CLICK AT YOUR OWN RISK

So in the mission “Shadow War” you come across a dying Ra’s al Ghul. He’s being kept alive through the Lazarus pit yet again, but this time he seems…different. He’s barely cognitive, and still has a gaping hole in his chest from what happened to him at the end of Arkham City. In the wake of this development, a civil war has sprung up between his followers and a few rebels led by his daughter Nyssa. You’re given two options throughout the mission: either cure him using a pure source of the Lazarus soup that’s kept him alive all these years, or you destroy the machine keeping him alive to simply let him pass away naturally like he should have hundreds, if not thousands of years ago. And by the end of it, you do have to make a choice.

The choice was tough because…both sides have their benefits and cons. On the one hand, Batman will never kill, much less allow someone to die if he can help it. Curing Ra’s would seem like the obvious “morally right” choice, given Batman’s strong moral compass throughout most of his career. However, doing so will have Ra’s become even more insane than ever before, kill his other daughter, and potentially lead to another one of his criminal purges, though with his mind the way it is, he may not even distinguish the innocent from the guilty anymore. In a way, leaving one of his enemies alive once again could prove disastrous for Gotham in the long run, which once again shows the tragedy of Batman as a character: his pride and morality often leads to more problems than before, and even provokes another question into Batman’s status as a “hero”.

On the other hand, you can destroy the machine, take him to GCPD, and allow him to spend his remaining days (possibly hours) locked up in prison where he belongs, leading Nyssa to assume leadership of the League of Assassin’s, and promising never to attack Gotham in the future: a promise that seems to be possible, given her troubled relationship with her estranged father. Ra’s is the man who is arguably Batman’s second-greatest nemesis apart from the Joker. Ra’s has constantly forced Batman into dark corners, challenging his ethics, and even attacking him personally in the comics. He’s manipulated him for years into teaming up with the guy, and has even had Batman acting…well, not very Batman-like. Ra’s forced out Batman’s vulnerability through either his ethics or Bruce’s affection towards Talia, which showcased how much the struggle against crime is weighing down on the caped crusader. However, this act is basically allowing Ra’s to die, something Batman swore to never do. Could he ever recover from this?

What did I choose? I ended up leaving the bastard to die like he should have years ago, though it wasn’t a decision I reached idly. I may not have killed him directly, but in my opinion, he was already dead, and was just prolonging his unnatural life. I came to the conclusion based on the events of the game proper. Batman is basically on his final mission. Locking up every major criminal Gotham has ever known, having his identity revealed by the end of the night, and eventually going on to die(Or just fake it because of said events) by burning his mansion down to the ground. What would it look like if Batman, after his massive burn campaign against every major threat to Gotham, left one loose end and eventually created the destruction of Gotham in the future? I don’t think that’s what Bruce Wayne would do on his final night as the Batman. It was a tough choice, sure, but ultimately one that secured the safety of Gotham for the time being. And even still, someone might eventually take up the mantle of the Batman once again.

[collapse]

So yeah, that’s arguably the most difficult choice I had to make in recent gaming, and I hope I never have to make such a difficult decision again.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on May 06, 2016

I added spoiler tags to the forums, haven’t figured out how to throw them in the editor bar yet. To use them type (spoiler title=”this is the title”)content here(/spoiler), but with [ and ] instead of ( and ).

Was not aware this entirely necessary feature didn’t exist in the base program. Starting to wish I had never used a 3rd party plug-in.

POSTED BY elheber on May 06, 2016

RE: Arkham Knight DLC Spoilers

Immortality is one of those odd ones for Batman. He doesn’t kill but making someone immortal isn’t his MO either. He doesn’t use the Lazarus Pit himself after all.

[collapse]

This is the type of excellent writing that I love in games. There’s no easy choice to make.

However, I’m of the mind that an even better writer would let Batman pull a Hank Hill and find a solution to an impossible problem. It’s the type of thing Judge Dredd does in Dredd (2012) where his sense of justice is tested against itself. He’s given an impossible dilemma: a choice between A or B and he thinks outside to box and chooses C. If you give Batman the Trolley Problem where he either has to do nothing and passively let 5 people die, or do something and actively kill 1 person to save those other 5, Batman would outsmart everyone (including the audience) and save the 5 people without killing the 1 person. And then the villain would shout, “that’s impossible.”

That’s the type of portrayal of Batman I like to see. The scenario writers that don’t let him do this, I think, do a disservice to his legendary status.

POSTED BY elheber on May 06, 2016

Oh my god, I can’t believe I haven’t brought up S.O.M.A!

That game gives you tons upon tons of ambiguous moral dilemmas. Real hard-hitting ones that I don’t want to spoil. But if you like the difficult questions that movies like Blade Runner or The Prestige pose, you need to play SOMA.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.