Looking For Some Suggestions - Emblems
  • POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 26, 2016

I have previously mentioned the Emblem idea that I found on a complaint thread from GameSpot in the past month. The basic idea is that these are going to be awarded to users who achieve specific parameters like 100 posts or 1000 likes while they use this site. Although I already have an idea of what I want to do for the cumulative posts and likes Emblems, I could use a little feedback from you guys.

In short, I would like a few suggestions for what we would like our Founder Emblem to look like. The only request I have is that we try to avoid using anything instantly recognizable to a game character, so no pac-man or sonic icons please.

I am also seeking feedback on what OTHER Emblems you guys would like to see. So far we have 3 for total news/reviews posted(10, 100, 500), 3 for total likes received(10, 50, 100), 1 for users who attach a Patreon account to their profile(coming soon), and the previously mentioned Founder Emblem. Thinking ahead, I am planning to have one for joining the E3 2017 event next year that will be handed out to anyone who participates in the shared chatroom during the various Twitch Streams over the course of the week.

These are going to be displayed here on the forums, on your profile page, along with your top 3 to 5 of your choice on any article or review you post.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Jul 27, 2016

Cool idea. I wonder if the founder emblem should be something “classical” – just riffing here, but some symbolism or imagery with Greco-Roman or Egyptian type flare that isn’t necessarily a gaming symbol but has that “it begins here” story to it

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 27, 2016

Yeah, I’d like that, I haven’t found anything specific that fits yet. So far I’ve got the cumulative posts Emblem which will be based on our favicon/twitter & facebook avatar(the pixelated heart), and the cumulative likes Emblem which will be based on the Fallout icon of the thumbs up.

Maybe the founder icon could just be a Spartan Helmet? Front view maybe? Thinking I may ask my co-worker about it, see what his thoughts are, he’s pretty creative and I bet he’ll actually make what I want.

POSTED BY elheber on Jul 28, 2016

I imagine a founders emblem looking like a figure of someone planting a flag on a rock or beach. Or standing next to a flag with his foot on a rock (like the Captain Morgan pose).

Alternatively, it could simply be the image of a classic-style joystick (like Atari ones) in gold, possibly embossed like if it were on a coin.

As for other achievements that could earn an emblem:

• Having an article/review that passes a certain threshold of comments.
    • Having an extremely popular article/review that passes a certain threshold of views or similar.
    • Being very active in article/review comments.
    • Being very active on the message boards.
    • Live streaming hosted by GL.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 28, 2016

Well one thing to keep in mind is that these will all be very simple and in the same shade of red used throughout the site. So nothing will be gold, just a mix if #171717 / #FEFEFE and #dd0000 on a transparent background. I do like the ideas for alternative Emblems. I was thinking of maybe having an emblem for each user level, but I don’t even know what the user levels will be yet.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Jul 28, 2016

I don’t know quite how complex or stylized you wanted it (e.g., purely a symbol?) – something like this could be cool (Emperor Augustus, founder of Rome). I just set the image tone to red and “cartoonified” it with Gimp

(flickr link, can’t “add media” here)

augustus caesar statue_smallnred_cartoon
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by Rex ranae.

It won’t be able to have a lot of detail since one of the areas these will display is to the right of your name on reviews and news articles. I believe these will end up being anywhere from 15×15 icons on that page to 50×50 on the forums and profile pages. So something easily recognizable will have to be used like the heart icon and the thumbs up from Fallout. Even at 15px the thumb will still be recognized by the majority of gamers.

100-likes-examp-50x63

Here is a bad example of what I was thinking for the cumulative likes. Something similar to this would be awarded to users who have received at least 100 more likes than dislikes(i.e. 125 likes 21 dislikes). Also right now I’m leaning towards these being permanent once earned, meaning if you drop back below +100 likes you still keep the Emblem.

I’m not a photoshop expert so this is obviously very rough. I’m sure our designer or my co-worker can make something very similar but much more defined and appealing to the end user.

founder-examp-50x63

How about something like this for the founder Emblem? It’s an eagle… ended up on the idea while searching ‘early adopter’ which led to ‘early bird’, then ‘bird’, and finally ‘eagle’.

I’m also not so sure how well these scale, so the 20×25 version is most likely not going to happen, these will only be used in areas where the 50×63 can be used. The original image I’m creating are 200×250 and lose too many pixels when shrunk smaller than 40×50

Changed my mind after seeing it on the page. I removed the text and scaled the Emblem examples to 20px tall, some margin adjustments and they’re ok. Check out the example on any of the news articles I have posted.

Most recent is here. You will notice there are now 3 images to the left of my name where it says “Posted by * * * xsuicidesn0wmanx (1507)” at the top of the article. Left most is the example founder icon, then the star which is the ‘featured’ emblem(these users will be able to mark their own content featured w/out needing to use the voting system(i.e. trusted users, 98% positive likes), and lastly is the example patreon icon which will indicate that the author is a member of patreon and users can help support that author financially. Still haven’t added the ‘patreon link’ to the user profile yet, I will soon just so I can close out that Patreon API page Ive had open for 3 months. Probably take care of that part tomorrow and we’ll see how the response is to the examples.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Jul 28, 2016

Honestly, it’s a bit hard to make out what I’m looking at with the eagle on the link. Might even need to be more heavily stylized so that the features pop even when really tiny? Although, it’s clearly recognizable as “different” from the others, even if it isn’t obvious what it is. So that’s good

I could also zoom in on the icon so that less of the details are lost in the eagle itself, though wings and claws would probably get lost. Either way, it’s an example, I’m going to see what can be done about a spartan helmet for the founder Emblem as well, see how that looks and functions.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 29, 2016

The example Emblems are now up on the site, I’ve added them to the forums here as well. I definitely need to clean up the founder one, or get something more fitting. It’s just too messy in its current state.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Jul 30, 2016

I was going to suggest the more simple profile of the Roman eagle, but that symbolism was famously borrowed by another group, so… maybe not that one.

Is there a place where we can view the symbols and their meanings? A legend? Thanks for your hard work on this; it’s a nice feature

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.