Looking For Feedback - User Leveling System
  • POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Aug 01, 2016

When I created gamelust, I knew I wanted to have a scoring system that creators could look to as a competitive game amongst peers. Lacking any real direction on this I simply used the name from the tutorial I used to figure out how to add custom profile fields to the user profile. And thus Awesome Points came to be. But I always knew this was not a finished product, that I would be looking to upgrade this system to something more dynamic, more fun. Currently the system is very simple, everyone starts with 1000 points, gets 2/5 points for every article/review and 1 point for every like. So here are the changes I am planning on implementing in the near future.

I am going to change this leveling system to work more like the leveling system for an RPG. So a user with 1000 points is a Level 1 user, and every article, review and like will be considered experience points. To level up, each user must collect the amount of points equal to 10% of their current levels base score. So a level 1 would need 100 points to attain level 2, a level 2 user would need 110(or 1210 points total) to attain level 3.

To scale this would be similar to the following: (lvl #: exp needed)(lvl 1: 1000, lvl 2: 1100, lvl 3: 1210, lvl 4: 1331, lvl 5: 1464, lvl 6: 1610, lvl 7: 1771, lvl 8: 1948, lvl 9: 2143, lvl 10: 2357, etc).

So this part is set in stone so far. What I am looking for is titles for these levels. Level 1-5 can carry the title of Noob, 6-10 Greenthumb or something like that, then like lvl 90-99 can be Dragonborn, but what about in between? I’m not even sure where the leveling system would stop, or if it drops from 10% at some point to 5% and less as the points needed to level up grow too much. In addition, all of these ‘titles’ will be accompanied by an emblem from the appropriate game reference.

One other thing to note is that the earlier levels will also be used to determine how much control the user has over the site. This would include whether or not they have access to the image uploader or not. I trust you guys not to use copyrighted material, but I can’t trust the vast majority. Plus, I still haven’t built the submission tools for adding new content to the site.

So what do you guys think? Any ideas for ways I can expand on this idea? Ideas for what other restrictions I should add for the lower levels? I considered limiting how many posts they can make, but that would stunt growth a bit much imo. Plus I’m not a fan of how gamespot limits new users right away, their way is detrimental to the user experience, I’d like to avoid that.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.