I Saw Terminator Genisys Today. Oh Boy.
  • POSTED BY elheber on Mar 19, 2016

Apart from all the nonsense, of which there is much, this movie can be enjoyed… but for that to happen you have to have never liked the Terminator franchise.

I grew up on Terminator. Terminator 2 is my 2nd favorite movie of all time, and the first one would be in the top 10 if that list weren’t so crowded with masterpieces. If there’s one thing you have to understand if you’re making a Terminator movie, it is this: YOU DON’T TOUCH JOHN CONNOR.

It’s no secret that John Connor is representing a Jesus Christ figure. It’s written all over: His initials (JC), his mother’s “virgin birth”, he’s the literal savior of mankind, etc. The first movie played him up and let you imagine him without actually showing him. It’s a trick movies do to make something bigger than what would fit on the screen… your imagination is more powerful than can be represented by any concrete manifestation. It’s why horror movies show you as little of the big bad monster as possible. It’s why Pulp Fiction never shows you the contents of the briefcase. It’s why in Ben-Hur, despite Jesus Christ being the most important character in the story other than the protagonist and antagonist, it never actually shows Jesus. Judas Ben-Hur finally defeats his betrayer who had destroyed his life, but he doesn’t find peace or comfort until he finally goes to meet this “Jesus” that everyone keeps raving about. But he’s never actually shown except for his feet that one time.

Terminator 2 also didn’t really show John Connor. I mean, technically you saw him as a kid, but not the fabled master tactician John Connor who could inspire all of humanity to rise against the machines. You didn’t see that John Connor; you only saw the kid. And the kid gave you glimpses of what he could become. He was self-reliant, cunning, and he didn’t want to see people get hurt. His decisions saved them many times and despite his age, he was able to be a mini Jesus Christ to his Mom’s Ben-Hur, allowing her to drop her vengeful shooty-murder side.

Terminator: Salvation was, before the dumb-ass rewrites, going to double-down on the Ben-Hur angle and focus the whole movie on Marcus Wright. Marcus had come across people who had met Connor and his squad, but Marcus was too busy dealing with his own shit about robots and whatnot. When he was at his lowest point near the climax, he would have met this John Connor that everyone talked up for the whole movie and it was marvelous. Whatever Connor said to Marcus, it gave him the strength he needed to finally fix his shit. And fix his shit he did. Except for the part where they rewrote the whole fuckin’ movie.

You don’t touch John Connor. The legendary John Connor cannot exist in physical form because as soon as someone is made to act him out, the illusion will break. No writer is good enough to write his lines. No actor is good enough to speak his words. No makeup artist can give him the right amount of grit and tenderness or whatever you get the point. He is only to be spoken of. We are to only see the impossible results of his actions. A robot AI worse than Hitler and its robot army is desperate to have this one human killed. At that point, nothing can beat your imagination at representing Connor.

It’s no surprise that the movies that tried to film that John Connor are the ones that failed miserably. Terminator 3 made him a stupid loser crybaby. Salvation made him an ineffective leader that somehow isn’t already the leader of the revolution he should have started. And Genisys… oh boy…

OH BOY!

Genisys made him the fuckin’ antagonist! FOR FUCK’S SAKE! Jesus Christ, what the fuck?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by elheber.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Mar 21, 2016

T2 is close to the top of my list too, and it’s also the last one I watched, I intend to catch up some day but ‘oh boy’, I am not looking forward to watching the destruction of one of the greatest franchises of all time.

At some point though, I will catch up on the series, just to say I survived.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Mar 24, 2016

Terminator 3 was so bad that several years ago I started writing a fanfiction replacement for it. I my mind, T3 and Salvation (and now Genisys) don’t exist.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles is actually pretty good. I’d recommend it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.