I Saw Suicide Squad Today and Margot Robbie Margot Robbie
  • POSTED BY elheber on Aug 05, 2016

It’s an ensemble movie, but I’ll be honest with you: I bought the movie ticket just for Harley Quinn.

You guys don’t know… Harley Quinn and I go way back. I grew up on Batman The Animated Series and the show coincided perfectly with my puberty. She was my first sex symbol. My first girlfriend was manic, obsessive and clingy, and I found absolutely no problem with that at the time thanks in large part to Harley Quinn being the perfect girlfriend in my mind. When Brittany Murphy died, I thought the last chance of getting Harley Quinn on the big screen had died with her.

But Margot Robbie pulled it off. The rest of the movie could have sucked and I would have still walked out of the theater beaming with joy.

The rest of the movie didn’t suck, thankfully (because I want sequels and spin-offs). It had its ups and downs; the highs elevated the movie while the lows were never bad enough to ruin the whole. The biggest problem you may notice is how rushed the first act feels. The cutting and editing was so hectic, in fact, that you never get time to understand the main conflict that the heroes will be facing. You kind of just have to let it take you for a ride until you manage to get your bearings later.

As for the best part of the movie, I get the feeling this will be different for everyone. There are great character moments for most of the cast, along with some fittingly cheesy ones as well. I got into a debate with friends and family over whether or not this was a good Joker. Jared Leto’s Joker is more of a mobster than the chaotic force of nature that I prefer. His relationship with Harley is also too pure… there are no hints of the destructive, unhealthy relationship that makes their pairing so complex and fascinating to watch.

But that might just be me. I’m a nut for Harley Quinn after all.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.