Have a Suggestion?
  • POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 14, 2015

At Gamelust we are a small group of gamers who have grown tired of the major gaming websites like Gamespot and IGN who continuously fail to listen to their users. We would love to get your feedback on the website and are open to any suggestion that can improve the experience for everyone who uses the site. If you have a feature suggestion, or would like to suggest an alternative approach to a particular area of the site, let us know!

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Nov 24, 2015

I think it would be better if, for now, you removed the subforums of each console. Having so many forums has several downsides: Each page feels emptier, it makes it harder to navigate, the lack of immediacy makes it harder to just click on a topic that caught your eye. It’ll make more sense to compartmentalize the forums once the community grows, but for now it just seems like too many rooms in a house.

The front page has a cool feature that lists the latest news in a box. I’m not sure if it’s even possible but a square in the forums that shows the latest -or- hottest topics. Don’t worry about it if it’s not easily done.

When you make something bold, the color changes to make it harder to read. There’s also a few other places that need some work in the CSS.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Nov 24, 2015

The subforums were intended to be categories, still working on cleaning this part of the site up a bit as it is extremely rough. The forums are the most complex part of the site right now, so progress will be slow. Sorry if the css here makes your eyes hurt, I’ll see what I can do about the bold text and some of these nasty colors tomorrow. Sub categories were actually not supposed to be visible, just haven’t found the specific file that is inserting those in the landing page.

I will add a note on our construction page for adding a ‘hot topics’ type of widget on the home page, definitely can be done, though probably not something I’ll be able to work on until Spring 2016 at the earliest.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Nov 24, 2015

Just a note, we have a ‘todo list’ that was posted a while ago, I’m adding your suggestion to it. You can check it out here… https://gamelust.com/news/gamelust-todo-list/

POSTED BY elheber on Mar 06, 2016

Is there a way to organize forum threads/topic in reverse chronological order so the newer ones are at the top?

Also, I think you should have a PC forum.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Mar 06, 2016

I haven’t really had a lot of time to work on this lately, I’m still having a lot of trouble with my eyes even after getting new glasses. Haven’t found an eye drop that helps yet either.

As for your question, the topics actually are in reverse order with the most recent at the top, but the stickied posts are currently above them. Soon as I get some time to focus on cleaning up these forums so they’re as polished as some of the main pages we will explore options to make those sticky posts quite a bit more obvious.

POSTED BY elheber on Mar 06, 2016

Understood. No hurry, sn0w. Always take care of your health first. In the meantime, I’ll get a handle on how to publish reviews and whatnot. It’s probably not a big deal to you since you know html, but I felt really proud of learning how to embed an image all by my lonesome.

It’s more of an annoyance than anything else. Doc says my eyes are healthy, no disease risk at the time. It’s a combination of allergies to my dog, lack of sleep (insomnia + caffeine is a stupid combination but I’m addicted) and spending 12 hours a day staring at the screen between working on the site and doing my job.

It is fun figuring this shit out though isn’t it? While it can be frustrating, the feeling when you have that break though can be as addicting as anything else.

You’ll also find a PM from me on gamespot(would use our own but I have that system turned off due to high memory consumption, interferes with image uploading).

Added a section for PC Gaming, old styles seem to have fallen out for some reason, but they kind of work with the new addition. Also cleaned up a bunch of the excess areas so that for now all new topics go in the more general sections. i.e. No more PS4 section, all PS4 posts go in Playstation Discussion.

POSTED BY elheber on Apr 29, 2016

Blogs.

Not sure how to elaborate. You probably already want blogs in some form or another. I myself have written a few things here that I wish were pinned on my page as some sort of blog. And they can still show up as posts on the forum.

I realize your site has an entirely different system for news/articles than for forums, but perhaps one day they can be unified so that news/articles/blogs also show up as threads on the forum and the comments/replies are shared between them.

youtu.be/WRmBChQjZPs?t=60

EDIT: Gah! I didn’t want that to embed. I wanted to make a joke about how I keep saying “one day.”

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by elheber.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Apr 29, 2016

Yeah, I believe we have talked about this in the past. They are on my todo list. I won’t be able to enable that for non-admin until I have completed some changes that are incoming on the home page. The ‘who won e3’ article from last year currently uses the blog system. That box and the review box next to it will be replaced by items from the image feed the other 8 boxes use, and the current news list on the left side will soon only show a mixture of news and reviews that are not featured. Once blogs no longer show up on the home page I will open the section up for everyone else to use. Blogs will get a feed similar to the News and Reviews links at the top right of the page.

As for the second half of your suggestion, at this time I do not believe that this is plausible. I’m sure I could figure out how to do it, but right now there are two entirely different systems that work separately from each other. This includes blogs being posted to the forums. The forums are a 3rd party application that I did not build. The other sections of the site are pretty much all custom built using the same structure that the blog posts will be using.

I do plan on adding these items to the profile page, in addition to updating the css so the profile page doesn’t suck. Everything you post will be accessible directly from your profile page. The last feature being added to the profile page will be the ability for users to add games and consoles to their gaming collection which will be tracked and accessible through their profile(editable to the owner, viewable to everyone else).

I plan on creating a new ‘todo’ list and publishing that soon, now that the original list is nearly complete.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on May 04, 2016

Thought you’d like to know that I have made this change. The home page has been updated to feature 9 articles from the start(previous was 8 with 1 missing), and will soon have a section with some of the best sales available from our current crop of affiliates. You will find a blog list in the top right corner of the site, similar to the other two lists except most of these will not have featured images unless you set one. I will also be adding a new link in the center of the home page for adding a new blog.

Once again, blog posts are not eligible to be featured on the home page, users will have to find it on the blog list, or on your member page.

POSTED BY elheber on Jun 26, 2016

Text formatting tools for the comment section would be good. Especially some spoiler tags.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jun 27, 2016

I had a version of this built in for the comment system, but it wasn’t grabbing the input correctly so it got shifted back a bit while I worked on other areas. I’ll be looking to enhance the wysiwyg sometime in the near future, even the one back here in the forums isn’t really all that great from a presentation standpoint.

POSTED BY elheber on Jun 27, 2016

I think I’d be fine with code. * for bold, _for italics like YouTube and other sites plus some other textile like spoiler tags, if it’s easier than WYSIWYG.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jun 27, 2016

I think both would be about as difficult right now since the problem I’m running into is that both have to be built into a custom comment system I built. I could probably switch to something else, but so far it’s been a bit of a blessing since all the spam bots that try to post on here can’t figure out how to use the comment system.

Hopefully I’ll be able to work on things again soon, still having health issues. Had a doctor apt this past Saturday, he took 5 vials of blood for testing, either that or he’s a vampire. Didn’t see any glitter so I’m guessing its just for tests.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.