Adding a YouTube channel for the site
  • POSTED BY Joel Castro on Oct 26, 2016

I feel like, in this age of video streaming, it’s become a necessity to try to add more content for the site to gain viewers and followers. Having a place where we can post video reviews, random bits of content, and even a place where we can upload eventual podcasts will keep things alive when activity on the main site becomes a bit slow (in fact, we could always plug the site with each video right at the end.) I know it won’t be easy, but I have some experience running a YouTube channel. It doesn’t have a lot of subscribers, I know, but before life happened, I had a pretty regular upload schedule. So we need to figure out how we can get a channel running on YouTube. Or hell, whenever Twitch fully implements its new video upload system, we could go there instead. What do you think? I’m not much of a video editor, but I can provide regular content in terms of either reviews or Let’s Plays once I figure out how to make my laptop capture game footage efficiently (it’s a bit weak, but expected for a $300 machine). Also, I can be the main runner of the channel if you’re too busy continuing to build the website here. What do you say, xsuicidesn0wmanx? It’d be a good thing to try out for getting the word out there about this awesome site.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 27, 2016

Actually we have a youtube channel that doesn’t get used very much. I wouldn’t mind seeing a few Lets Play’s uploaded to the channel, but most of the other types of content I have planned out already. I can add you as a manager of the channel. I’ll need your email address sent to me in a private message(or I can just grab the one on your account here) to add you, I tried to copy & paste your youtube name into the Add Manager box, and it refuses to accept it.

As far as video editing I do have access to all the tools we might need thanks to my employer buying me the full suite of Adobe products. I have access to some studio equipment here as well, and I plan on building a studio when I finally find a home to buy.

The thing I’ve been saying since the start. This isn’t about want, it’s about can. I really want to do these things, I can’t do them because of a lack of physical bodies to perform the tasks needed to make these things real. In order to do my own Casual Friday show, I need at least 5 more living breathing human beings who are from the Chicago area and can come to the studio I plan to build for the channel.

As for the content that I plan to put on YT,  I’ve mentioned before I hope to start creating shows like Casual Friday where it’s just a bunch of us sitting in a room together talking about current topics in gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWhx99zqJNQ

Shows like that. I also like how IGN does their podcasts like Beyond and Unlocked, so it would be a cross between the two shows. Relevant topics, recent news, back and forth discussion with a casual feel. In between these shows we’d have game play uploads and stuff like that. I’d like to see Lets Play’s on there too, as well as for us to take our rolling reviews from text + streaming to text + streaming + video where we talk about the game on cam with footage of us playing the game behind us, with the episode showing daily in the days after the launch.

Remember what I have said in the past, I have a problem with dreaming small. Everything I try to build is well beyond the scope of what a normal person would expect to create.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY Joel Castro on Oct 27, 2016

Well we can always utilize the Youtube direct stream-to-upload system for the rolling reviews. As for your podcast idea, unless they station me in an Air Force base in Illinois, joining that would be extremely difficult for me (though a Skype group chat is just as useful if we all have good connections, or Google Hangouts until you can get people to a physical location). For video editing, as long as my laptop cooperates with my game capture software (the video playback always seems to lag behind the audio for some reason), I can send you footage and audio to edit if you’re willing. I’d do it myself, but I lack the funds for good software at the moment.

Yeah, I definitely will find a way to bring you and elheber(if he wants to) into the show via web cam. The two of you are pretty integral to the success of this site so, at least in my opinion, anything we do there will always be an open invite to you two to be a part of that. Including if we get to go to E3 next year(which I would love but do not think we’ve generated enough interest yet to qualify).

I have a plan in place with the designer right now to try and finish off the profile pages, forums, and comments M-F next week. After that we’re going to take a long/hard look at the todo list and determine what we have left to work on, and basically create a cut-off point where we stop adding new features, call the site done, and start taking a deeper look into what it will take to create a show of the same quality as the one I linked to. New features will still pop up, but a lot of it is more of a deal where the feature is built but I have not yet turned it on due to missing data(i.e. emblems and user ranks, advertising on news/review/game pages). I think it’s going to be very difficult to create this high quality video and find the right personalities to create an enjoyable product.

To be completely honest, I didn’t want to be on the show itself, but I feel like right now none of these will happen if I don’t force the issue and be the main personality until another personality steps up.  Set the tone and structure of the show, then let the others run away with it once we’ve got our rhythm.

The hopes are that January 1st will be when I can start putting some of my own money into this site to advertise and get our brand out there. Not that I’m not spending my own money now, just plan on spending 3-5x more of it starting in 2017. Once I start that process, buying the hardware(mics, possible camera upgrades,or buy old cameras from work when they upgrade to 4k cameras, green screen) and building an actual studio that exists solely to record our shows. We’ve got to come up with an intro to each show as well. I want people to know within 5 seconds that this isn’t your average DIY gaming show, much in the same way people visit the home page and can realize right away this isn’t your average DIY web site.

I think the combination of having a really great site, with the advertising on site and buying ad space off-site will be enough to sustain the site while we focus on building a product that will be a resounding success.

If you ever are in the area, even if only for a weekend or two and you have the time, there’s also an open invite to come play some games in the game room. I’m fairly confident I’ll have at least one game you’ve wanted to play but never had the chance/time. If we’ve got the studio setup by then, we’ll even record a Throwback Thursday episode where we discuss the game as we play it. It’ll be a blast, and I think people who watch the show will really enjoy seeing other people simply having fun playing games.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.