2015 VGA Awards Discussion Thread
  • POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Nov 30, 2015

Listen up gamers, this is going to be one hell of a week because we have not one, but TWO gaming shows featuring reveals of unannounced games, starting with the annual Video Game Awards on Thursday night, and the Playstation Experience Thursday and Friday. One bit of news to already leak from this years VGA awards is that Sean Ashmore of LOTR and X-men fame will be on hand to show off new footage of Quantum Break, releasing exclusively on the Xbox One. In addition to Quantum Break, the first gameplay footage of Far Cry Primal, a new MKX character, and at least 7 other announcements will air during the show.

The 2015 Video Game Awards will be aired on Xbox Live, PSN, Twitch, and a ton of other video streaming networks. So what are you hoping to see? Considering the PS Ex conference is on at the same time, I’m sure this will limit VGA announcements to Xbox and Nintendo only, would it be too much for Nintendo to show off new Zelda footage, or even more, the Nintendo NX rumored to launch in just over half a year? That would shock the world for sure.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Nov 30, 2015

To be quite honest, I’m not expecting very many big announcements. I’ll be watching it all via Twitch at work for the VGAs, and probably via PSN for the PS-Ex at home.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY elheber on Dec 03, 2015

I’m struggling to remember the big announcements at The Game Awards. For me, the biggest news was Psychonauts 2. That and Konami not letting Kojima attend the awards but this doesn’t count, technically. FucKonami.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Dec 03, 2015

Yeah, it wasn’t as good as I had hoped, the tribute to Iwata was moving(not saying I cried or anything), the Konami bullshit has me thinking of what to write for a news article, and Pyschonauts was huge. For the most part it seemed like it was halfway an giant ad for Tell Tale Games, as they had 4 of the 10 announcements(Batman, Avengers, Walking Dead, and the Minecraft Story Ep 3 dlc. Hopefully Sony has some better bits of news tomorrow.

I think the biggest thing for me was the fact a lot of the winners were games I didn’t think were all that deserving, I know I wasn’t thinking Her Story was worthy of any wins, but it took home two. Splatoon was a surprise for me as well, I know it’s a good if not great game(though I’ll admit I haven’t played it yet), but I never expected it to beat out some of the biggest games in the industry. I thought the ultra-solid Black Ops 3 MP had a shot, as did the revitalized Halo 5 MP, and no one doubts Rocket League had some of the best MP of any game this year. I really thought one of those 3 would have won.

POSTED BY elheber on Dec 04, 2015

I had Splatoon pegged for best shooter because it was the most unique, but not for best multiplayer because the lack of voice chat which is so essential to feeling like you’re playing with other people. I had Halo 5 pegged or best multiplayer despite thinking it was just a CoDified Halo game. Halo and CoD have never been as identical to each other as with Halo 5 (with aiming down sights) and Black Ops 3 (with spartan tech). I think Splatoon won this category because the judges who like Halo, Blops 3 and Taken King split their votes very evenly among those 3 since they’re eerily similar in audience/tone/shooting/etc., letting Splatoon slip by unchallenged.

Anyway, I bought Her Story but haven’t gotten around to playing it yet. The acting/performance in it may indeed be the best, but best narrative? That’s… I mean, I think it got awarded for having a cool narrative structure. But if the story itself was in a book I have a feeling it would be nothing special. To put it another way, I think the way the story unfolds is way more interesting than the story itself. The same goes for Until Dawn… if you look at just the story, it’s really just super cliche teen horror movie tropes The Game, so if it was nominated then it means that the judges didn’t actually care about the narrative as much as they did the narrative structure.

The game that I thought had the best narrative was SOMA and it wasn’t even nominated. That story was SO good. The kind of story that should be a Christopher Nolan movie.

Undertale got the shaft, man. It’s one of my favorite games of the last 5 years easy. It should have won best indie, it should have won best in Games for Change, it should have been at least nominated for best narrative (I cried like someone snuck-in Toy Story 3 on me while I wasn’t looking and then shot Old Yeller as I chopped red onions).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.