Shooting the Shit Gaming Life Update Reply To: Gaming Life Update

POSTED BY elheber on Jul 15, 2016

The epilogue was fine. But before that, chapter leading to the final showdown was mostly uneventful platforming. You found a body with a diary that basically spelled out the moral of the story for you, “woe is me, I died for coveting treasure over everything else. I sure hope nobody named Drake or Sam falls into the same trap.” There was no sense of dread or build-up to the final confrontation. It was beautiful vistas and delicious morning dew all the way to the cavern with the pirate ship.

That’s what I mean about the end being indefensible. Peaceful climbing, peaceful climbing, a refreshing dip in the water, OH THE FINAL BOSS, all right we’re done here’s a lollypop.

The game didn’t have to end on a sour note, but it sure gave the impression that it would touch on dark material. It’s the fault of the game’s story going in one direction with Amy Hennig (remember the reveal trailer? It was dark as fuck) and then switching over to a couple of writers who were too self-conscious about having made The Last of Us so dark that they went the opposite direction… but they forgot to change the title. sn0w can attest to how mad I was at the way this game was marketed. The spoiler was that there were no spoilers.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."