Shooting the Shit Gaming Life Update Reply To: Gaming Life Update

POSTED BY elheber on Jul 15, 2016

The pacing was superb in some spots, and downright abysmal in others. I had mentioned it somewhere around here that the first chapter taking control of Nate’s humdrum normie life was expertly crafted. Nate was underwater finding treasure and I was afraid of a shark attack or the cargo crate falling on top of me; and it was brilliant use of gaming the player’s expectations to show just how boring his life is now compared to the past games. That was a great slow burn and form of pacing that would only work if the player had played the previous games (which I did) or if U4 had had epic intro sequence (which the boat scene was not).

And the ending is indefensible. There was absolutely no build-up.

As for the controls, I actively avoided reviews and gameplay videos until I had finished mine (which is why I hadn’t visited both of your reviews at the time BTW). But once I finished my review, the floodgates to let’s play videos from my favorite personalities opened, and you can clearly see other people were at points struggling with the controls too. I definitely wasn’t imagining the clunk. For the most part it was fluid and intuitive, but too often you’re reminded that you have a controller in your hands.

On a scale from Wand of Gamelon to Super Meat Boy, U4’s controls were just below Batman: Arkham City. Which is still very good I must admit.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."