Shooting the Shit What Are You Currently Playing? Reply To: What Are You Currently Playing?

POSTED BY elheber on Jun 01, 2016

I have to preface this with, “don’t get me wrong, I still loved this game.” Because I did.

Anyway, I don’t buy the trauma theory. If this were Joel not telling Ellie or Tess about his past, that’d be completely fine. But this is Nathan’s wife. It’s not like the past would never come up and she’s been privy to the more elusive side of Drake from the start. So maybe it’s me who is overthinking things, but I think it would have made sense if Nathan had said something like, “oh my God, Elena! I have a wife now, Sam. I haven’t told her much about you but I know she’s gonna love you.”

As for the “Ludonarrative Dissonance” trophy, it’s another beef I have with Druckmann. He’s dismissing a very valid criticism of his game when he justifies it with that admittedly fantastic line from True Lies, “yeah but they were all bad.” It isn’t so much that Nathan is killing all these dudes, but that the cutscenes pretend that he isn’t. Nathan and Sam don’t want to kill but they aren’t opposed to it when their life is on the line, which they were during the hostage encounter. It’s not like the game slips in a few gameplay moments where you can avoid a fight altogether… you are literally forced to clear the field before you’re allowed to make a jump to the next section. No sneaking past them. The implications are clear: Nathan kills lots and lots of bad guys… Rafe and Nadine are bad guys.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."