Shooting the Shit What I Look for in a Great Game Reply To: What I Look for in a Great Game

POSTED BY elheber on Apr 21, 2016

For me, though, it’s all about Game Feel. To me the controller is the most important thing because it’s the direct link between you and the game. I honestly think that if a game can nail game feel, it would still be enjoyable or engaging even if the rest of the game sucked.

Most games benefit from intuitive and responsive controls, allowing you to do the things you wanted to do right when you wanted to do them. Some benefit from having more complicated controls that can feel rewarding when mastering them. And a select few games benefit from giving the player un-intuitive and limited control. In this regard, games can deliver the mood and theme of the game just as well as the music and setting. In your example of Shadow of the Colossus, the way your character controls does make you feel like an reluctant hero who is desperately out of his depth. There’s awkwardness in each jump, and the frantic attempts at grabbing anything when you begin to tumble… all these things deliver that feel that the game wants to give you. It’s a visceral connection delivered directly through control or the lack thereof.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."