Shooting the Shit Need input for new article on the shady advertising used on popular gaming sites Reply To: Need input for new article on the shady advertising used on popular gaming sites

POSTED BY elheber on Mar 29, 2016

Have you ever heard of Buttered Coffee?

I’ll ask you to read this one article from Bloomberg Business last year: “Buttered Coffee Could Make You Invincible

Now that you read it, doesn’t it sound awfully like a huge fluff piece on this Dave Asprey? It’s literally an investment ad disguised as an article. Notice that this doesn’t have any disclosure of this being sponsored anywhere. So when I saw this, I did a Google search for “buttered coffee” and the results I found were astonishing. Every article not debunking it read like an advertisment. Fox even gave a recipe on a separate page that included “Bulletproof® Upgraded™ Brain Octane™ or Bulletproof® Upgraded™ MCT Oil.” Why a separate page? Because the recipe was sponsored content, so including the recipe on the same page would have made the article require the sponsored tag. HOLY FUCK.

I’m pointing this out because this shit happens even with larger reputable publications, and there’s no way IGN, GS, Kotaku, etc. aren’t playing this game too. It’s just easier for them to hide it because they report on the industry they’re selling. If Kotaku reports on buttered coffee, you’d know something is wrong… but if Chow.com reports on buttered coffee, they’re able to hide the advertisement much easier. I’m acutely aware of when gaming sites seem to report a little too much on a particular game, giving it tons of free press, and it makes me wonder how free that press actually is.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."