Shooting the Shit VR or AR? Reply To: VR or AR?

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Feb 10, 2016

Fair enough, it may be a little early to consider this the year of VR, though it is definitely VR’s break out year with so many devices coming out. With AR I kind of see it as being more of an overall device, not just another gaming format, which means it can work in tandem with other devices. So while it may not have the same all encompassing experience that VR has, it’ll still have a gaming use eventually.

I can still see playing a game on the Xbox One with a HoloLens and letting the HL expand the action away from the screen, adding true 3d effects, making objects around you appear differently based on the game interaction, bringing the living room itself into the game on the screen. Here’s an example of what I think an Xbox and HoloLens in tandem could possibly do: Take the Psycho Mantis scene from Metal Gear Solid, where they read save files on your memory card to create the illusion of being able to read your mind. Now you have the ability for the HoloLens to examine objects in the room instead and have the character react to that. How about when PM teleports, having him teleport outside your normal field of view and only appearing when you look in his direction.

How about another one? Taking elements from your house and integrating them into a game like PT, and incorporating elements from the game into your actual house. Imagine finding personal items from other rooms inside the game world on the screen, a photo of your wife off the desk, drawings made by the children on the fridge in game. Imagine the enemy on screen disappearing from the screen, and you hear a sound coming from what should be the nearest hallway, or another nearby room, the AR device animates what appears to be a door that is slightly open, lights flickering on the other side, and as you approach the door the enemy jumps out at you. Hopefully the door it used was the door to the bathroom, because you’re going to need a shower immediately.

Obviously this isn’t how AR will start out, might take a 2nd gen HoloLens, but I’m fairly confident someone will make that happen. If they don’t, I will. It’s on my list of game ideas I plan on making over the next 15-20 years after I finish gamelust.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.