Shooting the Shit 2015 VGA Awards Discussion Thread Reply To: 2015 VGA Awards Discussion Thread

POSTED BY elheber on Dec 04, 2015

I had Splatoon pegged for best shooter because it was the most unique, but not for best multiplayer because the lack of voice chat which is so essential to feeling like you’re playing with other people. I had Halo 5 pegged or best multiplayer despite thinking it was just a CoDified Halo game. Halo and CoD have never been as identical to each other as with Halo 5 (with aiming down sights) and Black Ops 3 (with spartan tech). I think Splatoon won this category because the judges who like Halo, Blops 3 and Taken King split their votes very evenly among those 3 since they’re eerily similar in audience/tone/shooting/etc., letting Splatoon slip by unchallenged.

Anyway, I bought Her Story but haven’t gotten around to playing it yet. The acting/performance in it may indeed be the best, but best narrative? That’s… I mean, I think it got awarded for having a cool narrative structure. But if the story itself was in a book I have a feeling it would be nothing special. To put it another way, I think the way the story unfolds is way more interesting than the story itself. The same goes for Until Dawn… if you look at just the story, it’s really just super cliche teen horror movie tropes The Game, so if it was nominated then it means that the judges didn’t actually care about the narrative as much as they did the narrative structure.

The game that I thought had the best narrative was SOMA and it wasn’t even nominated. That story was SO good. The kind of story that should be a Christopher Nolan movie.

Undertale got the shaft, man. It’s one of my favorite games of the last 5 years easy. It should have won best indie, it should have won best in Games for Change, it should have been at least nominated for best narrative (I cried like someone snuck-in Toy Story 3 on me while I wasn’t looking and then shot Old Yeller as I chopped red onions).

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."