What Are You Currently Playing?

This topic contains 105 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  xsuicidesn0wmanx 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

• POSTED BY kaenna on Oct 11, 2016

Well been a little while since I updated my current games but not a great deal has changed. I’m still slogging away with WoW: Legion but I did pick up Street Fighter V last week as a friend has been pestering me to buy it for a while now. It’s actually my first proper fighting game so I’m absolutely terrible at it but I’m trying to improve.

I’m also thinking about downloading the remastered Bioshock games since they popped up on Steam but I don’t want to start them if I don’t have the time to finish them. I’ve played about 60% of Bioshock, 0% Bioshock 2 and 100% of Bioshock Infinite in the past so despite being remasters the first couple will be somewhat new experiences for me.

POSTED BY mastermetal777 on Oct 16, 2016

I intend on getting the Bioshock Collection soon. Maybe if there’s a sale.

As for what I’m playing now, that would be Dark Souls 3 on New Game Plus, as well as Demon’s Souls. Man, the latter feels kinda primitive compared to the rest. It plays the same, but everything feels kinda slow. It’s still enjoyable, however, since the level design is still great and the combat is good. Plus, this being the first Souls game I played, the nostalgia is still pretty strong.

POSTED BY elheber on Oct 18, 2016

If I can find my 3DS, I will be playing the Pokemon Moon demo. And holy shit I haven’t finished Mankind Divided yet.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Oct 26, 2016

I’ve been working my way through Tomb Raider (2013). Finally.

I was VERY turned off, by the beginning sequences and their excessing QTE and cinematic structure. I thought I was in for Uncharted 0.5. But it opened up into a pretty great game! I still wish it was “classic” TR design, but I get it. I get why they changed, and I think they did a great job. I’m having a good time so far (~40% through)

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 27, 2016

I’ve got 4 games set out to play right now. Gears 4(so I can finish the review), Mafia III(also need to review), The Division(play it on the weekends with a friend), ReCore(because I never attempted the final boss again, need to finish for review), and Battlefield 1. All on Xbox except BF1(PS4 only) and The Division(both consoles).

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY mastermetal777 on Oct 29, 2016

Currently playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition. Overall, it’s the same Skyrim experience you all (probably) loved, except with these few changes:

– Mods on consoles. Obviously. Though PS4 doesn’t have as much mod space as the Xbox One, it’s still pretty neat to see what people can come up with.

– Much sharper environmental and character model textures. At this point, the original game looks kinda muddy up close. Everything now looks pretty good, if you can forgive the age of the engine it’s on (everyone still stares beyond your soul).

– The colors have a much higher level of contrast now. Everything looks brighter and pops out more, with less of a gray filter (played the original to make sure I knew what I was talking about). Also, the lighting is so much better.

– Virtually ZERO frame drops, except for an occasional stutter when you enter a new region. That was always my biggest issue with the game no matter what system it was on.

– All of the visual effects are brought up significantly. Snowstorms feel like storms, dust gets kicked up more on the ground, and spells look downright magnificent.

– Mostly improved AI on both friendly and enemy side (though companions are still kinda dumb).

– No audio freak outs as of yet. Again, one of the other most terrible problems Skyrim was plagued with.

That’s really it on what’s improved. Apart from including all the DLC, it’s still the same kind of animations (janky), quests (numerous), and freedom (FREEEEEEEDOOOOOOOM!!!!!!) of exploration that we all remember from The Elder Scrolls. So, if you missed out on Skyrim the first time around, get it now while things are still relatively stable. If you played it before, it might be worth it for you if you wanna increase your next-gen library size with an overall pretty damn good remastering.

POSTED BY mastermetal777 on Nov 03, 2016

I’ve been playing quite a few “walking simulators” lately, and a few other indie type games. Here’s what I’ve experienced so far.

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture – Incredible visuals, great story, STUNNING soundtrack, and I believe it’s one of the better examples of the interactive narrative genre.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter – just getting started with this one, but it’s an intriguing mystery that includes pretty tough puzzle solving and one hell of an atmosphere.

Never Alone – One of the most unique and culturally interesting games I’ve played. Really is a “try it for yourself” kind of game though.

Until Dawn – this will be my second attempt to play this game. I don’t know, everyone calls it the game Quantic Dream wishes it could make, but I actually really like David Cage’s stuff. Not to mention the story is a teen slasher film set to your choices. Yay…I really don’t like that genre of film, no matter how hilariously bad they can be. That’s not horror to me. That’s teens getting killed for being assholes, idiots, or idiotic assholes. Hopefully this second playthrough helps me enjoy something about it, because it was initially promising up until the start of the second half.

POSTED BY kaenna on Nov 09, 2016

Well I’ve been somewhat busy but I will update here anyways.

I’ve got back into Overwatch recently which is amazing fun as always, especially with a few friends. The Blizzcon announcements were pretty good and I can’t wait to try out the next hero (Sombra) when she is done on the test realm!

I’ve also been playing Battlefield 1 quite a lot. Its the first Battlefield game I have put more than 3 hours into and I have to say its great fun. The maps are sweet aside from one which feels like it never got tested properly, and the gameplay is epic. The visuals and destructible environments also make it super fun to play.

I’m also insanely excited to play Dishonored 2 on Friday. I absolutely loved the first one and can’t wait to play through the second. From what I have seen so far the new abilities all look like great fun and as long as it sticks to the winning formula of the original it should be a cracking game.

POSTED BY mastermetal777 on Nov 15, 2016

Playing some Quantic Dream games recently. Namely, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. However, for the latter, I’m playing the PS4 version, which means the story is actually linear and coherent this time around. Yeah, while I absolutely enjoyed Heavy Rain (it’s one of my all-time favorites), Beyond felt really…off the first time around. I figured it was the non-linear nature, but in truth it was the way it was implemented. There was no scene balance, no clever blend of scenarios that only make sense upon seeing it again later. It was just a muddled mishmash of scenes from Jodie’s life that only sorta made sense after piecing it together as you remembered it. Now, with everything happening along a linear time frame, everything starts to make more sense, and is actually paced soooooooooo much better that the story (which I always believed was good) is actually much better overall. So yeah, if you can, pick up Beyond: Two Souls on PS4. I promise it’s worth it if you’d heard about the game’s shortcomings. And while there are still a few (Cage seriously needs to rethink some of his more out-there scenarios), I cannot recommend the game enough.

Heavy Rain, on the other hand, is just a simple remastering of a fantastic PS3 title. Nothing special was really added, apart from the graphical enhancements, and yet that might also be the biggest weakness of this version. All the wonky animations, as impressive as they are from a technical standpoint, have shown their age, making the game look a lot jankier than you remember. The excellent choose-your-own-adventure style story is still there, and the voice acting and character building are just as fantastic as ever (if you can get past the obvious accents and rookie acting). The gameplay is still amazing too, with this game being the absolute best implementation of QTE sequences in any game ever made. Pick it up only if you have never played it on PS3, because it’s essentially a prettier version of the exact same experience.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Nov 18, 2016

Finally started playing something different last night. Motiga turned the servers back on for the Gigantic Closed Beta so I decided to check out the game finally. Matchmaking was really slow, sometimes taking up to 6 or 7 minutes to find a match, and half of the time it would crash before the game started. It seems really dependent on all 10 players wanting to play the game and being set to ready before the pre-game timer runs out. Once the match starts though it’s really super fun, just pure chaotic action from start to finish.

I might stream the game again tonight if anyone wants to check it out, we can sit in the chat and talk while waiting for the matchmaking to work.

I also uploaded one of my matches from last night to YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_7O6_47dc0&t=2s

POSTED BY mastermetal777 on Nov 21, 2016

Playing SOMA. So far, it’s interesting. Haven’t gotten to the real meat of the story yet, but the little things here and there are really making me think. I only wish it didn’t have monsters to hide from, as the mechanics for those encounters don’t really mesh well with the kind of game it wants to be (Im less creeped out when they’re around). Hopefully things start picking up soon. Hard sci-fi is one of my favorite settings/genres.

POSTED BY elheber on Nov 22, 2016

Right now I’m playing Pokemon Moon. I hadn’t played a mainline Pokemon game since Pokemon Yellow on the Game Boy Color (well, technically I played it on my GBA). I feel like I jumped back in on the perfect time with the perfect game to jump back in with.

I fully agree with your sentiments on SOMA. It’s like the developers weren’t confident in the game they were making so they added those horror elements that they were experienced with from the previous games. The game would have been better if the monsters were replaced with some other gameplay core (or perhaps even if they were simply taken out and not replaced with anything at all). I bet there’s a mod that removes the monsters. I bet.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Nov 22, 2016

I finally finished Mafia III Sunday night. Can’t say that I was too impressed in the end. The game had a ton of potential, but like so many other games this gen simply couldn’t live up to the hype. My final sessions with the game were littered with game crashing bugs, and I finally got to the breaking point where I stopped trying to 100% each area, simply started racket boss missions as soon as I had done enough damage to unlock them. I’d say I was only 1/3rd done with the game before I was ready for it to end, which is a shame because it had a really good story with awesome cut scenes and voice acting. I think the game should have been no more than 15 hours long, ended up taking me between 40 and 50. Not sure when I’ll write the full review, but I’m thinking of giving it a 68 right now.

I think ReCore is next up on the list, might finish that off so I can write that review too, expecting to give that a 70-75 unless there’s some surprises after this final boss/platform challenge.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Nov 28, 2016

Bought all those games this week, ended up hooked on Dragon Quest: Builders. The game is pretty fun so far, it’s like a poor mans Minecraft with DQ themes and some basic role play elements. The game itself is somewhat shallow, but I found that I didn’t even care about how thin the gameplay actually was. At one point I encountered an old abandoned castle and found myself spending the next hour cleaning and repairing the building, replacing missing blocks in the wall and floor, fixing the stairs. Took me about 2 hours to complete the quest I was on, only about 30 minutes of which was me actually doing the quest.

So far, it seems as if the developers behind DQ: Builders managed to capture the addictive qualities of Minecraft, while adding just enough of actual gameplay to hold the average gamers attention where Minecraft could not, there’s actual purpose to why you’re crafting.

POSTED BY kaenna on Nov 29, 2016

I’ve been playing Dishonored 2 mainly and I have really enjoyed it. Sadly it takes me ages to complete each mission because I’m OCD about finding all the areas I can so I end up backtracking and exploring for much longer than I should.

Aside from that I have been playing some Overwatch, trying out Sombra and the new modes. Sombra herself is a fun and unique character who counters a lot of the stale strategies that have been in the game since launch. Also the new game modes are quite nice, there’s modes such as 3v3 which provide a bit of extra content.

I’m also thinking of installing Pillars of Eternity soon as I’ve had it for a while now but haven’t played much, only an hour at a friend’s house. Anyone here tried it?

POSTED BY mastermetal777 on Dec 02, 2016

Been playing Final Fantasy XV (rental). And…I’m very impressed. The gameplay immediately sold it for me, but the character interactions, the beautiful scenery, the open-world mentality that made me fall in love with FF12, and just the overall atmosphere make this the best Final Fantasy in a loooooong time. I wish the camera was better during combat, and that the elemancy sytem was less obtuse. But overall, if you had doubts about this game, let me say that it’s flawed, but absolutely mesmerizing for all the right reasons.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Dec 11, 2016

Since I last checked in I banged out the Day of the Tentacle remaster and have begun working through Uncharted 4. Loved Day of the Tentacle – I had never played that in my youth. The puzzles were actually more fun and less frustrating (trial and error) than Grim Fandango’s

POSTED BY mastermetal777 on Jan 02, 2017

If you want a good puzzle game, The Witness is pretty damn great. Also, Day of the Tentacle is one of January’s free PS+ offerings lol

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Feb 07, 2017

Been working through Mass Effect 2 the past few weeks, I think I’m getting close to completing this game. Just finished the mission where you get the IFF drive and team up with Legion, all side missions so far are complete, I have the loyalty of everyone except that cunt Miranda.

I also finally started Just Cause 3, I don’t think I’m progressing through the story that much though as I can’t stop trying to 100% everything in the area. I’ve liberated the first island 100% so far and I’m currently starting to clear the second island from the bottom up.

I still have to finish Infinite Warfares main story, and Titanfall 2’s, as well as write up my review for The Last Guardian. Thing about TLG is it is the first game I’ve ever rated in the 70’s that I felt was a must play title. Almost feel conflicted over the thought of such a statement but it is how I feel.

I’ve been feeling the pull of my retro collection lately, been very keen to revisit some of the old Gamecube and Wii games I never got around to. I’ve also got a lot of original Xbox games that always looked fun but never owned til recently, like Stubbs the Zombie and Spikeout.

/sigh Too many games not enough time.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Feb 21, 2017

I just finished Mass Effect 2 last week, need to get a copy of Mass Effect 3 soon. I have the game, but it’s sealed and don’t want to open it after all these years.

I finally popped in Watch Dogs 2 after wanting to for a while now. Really enjoying the game so far. Started a Rolling Review if you guys want to see how its coming along.

POSTED BY shadowchronicle on Apr 16, 2017

I’ve been playing a lot of Persona 5 recently.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Apr 22, 2017

I’ve been spending a lot of time with Forza Horizon 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, and am working through some modded Morrowind now. Oh and I started a new game with Planescape Torment Remastered

I’ve got a problem

POSTED BY Death5talker45 on May 01, 2017

I am playing Skyrim Legendary Edition on my XBox360… Can’t wait for the XBoxScorpio… I have about 100 games for my XBox360

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on May 02, 2017

Haven’t played a lot of games lately, hoping to try out this demo for Prey real soon. Eager to pick that game up this weekend.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jun 05, 2017

I finally beat Just Cause 3 a few weeks ago, the game is absolute trash and littered with bugs and frame rate issues. Crashed at least 6 or 7 times on me. I even found an invisible island out in the middle of the water at the North end of the map, lights up a night but there’s nothing there. I think they made a copy of the lights from one of the cities and forgot to remove it from the retail build.

Spent a decent amount of time this past month playing Ark: Survival Evolved. Unfortunately the game seems like it has tons of promise that the devs simply can’t deliver on. It’s riddled with bugs, but the devs are more focused on graphical upgrades. The game even has a DLC pack for it and it’s still in Alpha. I wouldn’t recommend the game to anyone right now.

Tried to play some GTA Online with my friends, that game also doesn’t seem to want to work right now, frustrating since you’d expect Rockstar to have their shit together.

I recently started the Titanfall 2 campaign after months of being near the top of my back log. So far so good, game actually works w/out any flaws so far.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.