There's been tons of VR News
  • POSTED BY elheber on Nov 13, 2016

Since I’ve been out of the game, there’s been a lot of VR news. I haven’t jumped on the VR bandwagon yet because I still have more important things to spend what little money I have; but PSVR came out I think. Plus both Microsoft and Facebook showed off new all-in-one VR tech that has full motion tracking (not just gyro like the Gear VR). I’m going to have to look into all this stuff soon. If I find a ton of news to catch up to, I’ll make an article about it. I still want a VR living room.

Have any of you jumped aboard the VR train yet?

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Nov 14, 2016

I only have a GearVR(came free with Edge 7), never even opened it. I had to cancel my preorder for PSVR, couldn’t afford it. I’m thinking maybe I’ll try out the GearVR just to get an idea of what the low end VR experience is and try to imagine how it scales from there.

This time last year I was planning on having a trio of mannequin heads on my bookshelf, one for each major VR device. ;\

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Nov 14, 2016

It seems the proper action to take, Rob, will be to wait for the second generation VR devices. Every device out to market now was conceived back before the FinFET revolution that happened in the first half of this year. Since then, a number of breakthroughs have happened that will make the older VR headsets obsolete. Last month Oculus released a new rendering method (asynchronous spacewarp) that essentially halves the amount of power needed to run VR. People are running Oculus games at smooth 90fps with all the settings maxed easy right now.

The smaller, more efficient, and more powerful microchips that are out right now are making it into the next generation of VR devices, enabling them to be all-in-one headsets that don’t need to be connected to anything. They won’t even need specialized tracking gear like the Rift cameras or the Vive “lighthouses.” Microsoft and Oculus both showed off teasers of headsets with “inside-out” tracking.

So just wait. Unless you like collected obsolete hardware… >_>

Well I am a collector, I will have all of the 1st gen devices at some point. Probably end up buying some of the DK1 & 2 models as well just to put them on a shelf.

POSTED BY Joel Castro on Nov 14, 2016

I don’t like the current idea of VR, to be honest. I’d rather wait until something like in Westworld gets invented before I jump on the VR wagon.

Ahh, Westworld. If you can’t find a real g/f, just build one!

Seriously though, I love that show. I don’t know why, I just do.

POSTED BY kaenna on Nov 23, 2016

Ah just saw this thread and felt like I had a bit to add!

I’ve owned an Oculus Rift dev kit for a few years now as I used it as part of a university project to make a horror experience in VR. Obviously the dev kits had pretty low resolution and there was plenty of tech demos but very few concrete games to actually play. Despite this I loved every minute of it. VR itself isn’t going to “become the new way to game” but it really does enhance gaming in many situations.

For example any kind of vehicle/mech based game is incredible in VR, the experience itself is just far more immersive, being able to look around physically feels so much more natural than simply moving your mouse. Similarly horror games are infinitely scarier with VR. Any jumpscares are right up in your face, and the fact that you can’t look away is just insane. The amount of times I played Amnesia and looked away from my monitor when I jumped was crazy, but when I went back to it with the Oculus (unsupported but 3rd party software made it work) it was insane how terrifying it was.

Fast forward and VR is released for consumers primarily in the form of the Vive, Oculus and PSVR. I’m actually planning to pick up a Vive in a few weeks/over Christmas so I’ll be sure to let you know how I find it. I personally think that there’s a few things to understand when looking into VR though. Firstly there still seems to be multiple demos but no/few full 20 hour games out there that utilise VR which may put many people off. The other thing is the motion sickness theory that is always brought up. Now I am highly susceptible to motion sickness, however using the Oculus wasn’t an issue for me at all. To begin with I played in short bursts, an hour at a time, and I did feel slightly uncomfortable afterwards but it was more light headed than actual sickness. Over time however the effects seemed to gradually disappear and I could play for hours at a time without feeling uncomfortable. I understand that this will vary from person to person but I fully expected to spend all my time in VR feeling like I would vomit and never actually did.

At the end of the day I feel that VR is moving forwards all the time, but until there is a large library of VR games, not just demos, many people won’t be rushing to pick a headset up. Despite this the experiences that it provides are unlike anything else and I think that there are many genres of game that benefit massively from VR as I said above. Personally I will be picking up the Vive as I want to support VR and I am happy with the games/demos on offer. However I will also get a lot of use out of it because I will be developing games for it myself. Once I get it and have chance to test it out though I’ll get back to you all :)

Also if any of you want to know anything specific in relation to VR then just reply here and I’ll get back to you. As I say my only current experience is with the Oculus dev kit, but I used it for an insane number of hours.

POSTED BY elheber on Dec 01, 2016

I do think VR will become “the new way to game” eventually, kaenna. Traditional screen gaming will still be here, just like movies didn’t make books/radio/comics disappear, but the forefront will change. That said, that’ll happen long after VR finally hits the mainstream. First we’ll need to adapt to playing 3rd person in VR.

Here’s another prediction: The first long-form games that become super popular will be persistent multiplayer world games (like Second Life types). As you pointed out, most games are short-form right now. They’re basically glorified tech demos. Wearing VR it’s like you get homesick for the real world after a short while and need to take it off to reset. You get really lonely, in fact. The game genre that will most help you overcome that hump are the games where you really want to escape into and stay. They’ll be low-impact (i.e., not huge in adrenaline action), but high in immersion and social interaction. Stuff like massively multiplayer Minecraft in creative mode fits the bill.

I can’t wait to have a few all-in-one headsets right on my coffee table, ready to put on without any setup.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Dec 02, 2016

I still have to try VR out, but my initial thoughts have me thinking that VR would be perfect for episodic content. I’m thinking something closer to how TV shows work rather than the garbage game developers try to shove on us now. If I had a game for VR I’d try to split the entire experience into 30-60 minute long episodes and either release the episodes over a short period of time, or all at once like Netflix. I think the pacing of a 30-60 minute episode and the frequent breaks will enable to entire experience to be enjoyed by anyone regardless of the effect of VR on their eyes/health. Small bursts of great content with plenty of opportunities to take a break naturally rather than simply hitting the pause button.

Just my two cents.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.