Patreon Support is Here!

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  xsuicidesn0wmanx 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 29, 2016

http://gamelust.com/patreon/

So this ended up being a lot simpler than I had anticipated. I do have plans to upgrade the Patreon Support in the future, but the first step is done. Over time I hope that this system will allow our content creators to have the ability to make money from their fans here on gamelust, and help support their effort to provide quality content as often as possible. As we start growing and making money, this is one of the primary methods that our site will be using to give back to our content creators. We will literally be taking ad revenue and contributing monthly subscriptions to our top content providers.

The idea is fairly simple. Allow people to directly fund those who create the content we all crave. There are a ton of freelance video game journalists, aspiring journalists, and gaming hobbyists looking to run a blog. Many of these people get ignored by major media sites like IGN, GameSpot, and The Verge. Simply put, there isn’t enough ad revenue to support the old industry. The new industry will be crowd funded, and we plan to be at the forefront of this new gaming media industry. This is our solution.

If you have an account with Patreon, simply go to the site, view your profile, and grab the User ID from the end of the url.

It will look like this… https://www.patreon.com/user?u=3293258

From there, visit the dashboard here on gamelust and go to Profile -> Extended Profile -> Patreon ID, paste the number in the appropriate box and then click the Update button.

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 7.55.02 PM

I sincerely hope this will not only help us find more quality writers, but also help provide those writers with some extra funds that seem to be so hard to find for aspiring video game journalists.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY elheber on Jul 30, 2016

I’m in. Also, I sent you a message over at Patreon about one of my concerns. Other than that, this seems like an excellent idea.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY mastermetal777 on Jul 30, 2016

Seems interesting, but I’ll think about it.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Jul 30, 2016

Interesting idea. I’m mulling over it. I’d be all in, but I worry about my ability to churn out content fast enough to “warrant” backing. I guess I could have a low asking rate, and if people aren’t interested and I don’t hit that then no harm done

POSTED BY shadowchronicle on Jul 30, 2016

That’s pretty cool, I need to find something In the industry to regularly talk about though. I could probably create some online gaming articles regarding MOBAs & Overwatch consistently on this site with some analysis.

The only problem is like Rex said I’d have to find content to post in a reasonable way. I’m not sure how making money works by adding an account to gamelust but there are options to make it where you receive money monthly or per creation.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 31, 2016

I think one of the great things about this place is that you really do not have to feel pressured to post. And I’d like this to be treated the same way. There is no need to add a Patreon account if you do not want to, and don’t feel pressured into creating content simply to justify having a Patreon account linked. You are free to use this site however you want and how often you want.

I’ve talked to a lot of journalists over the past year, and I see a lot people who want to write about games. But they all have one thing in common, they want to get paid for their work. Some of these guys are getting as little as $5 per article as a freelance journalist, even from the big boy sites like Polygon and Destructoid. I see this update as a way to help the entire industry out by allowing the aspiring and freelance journalists a platform they can build their portfolio on, while at the same time fostering our platform agnostic culture where the games matter most.

I think we can change the games journalism industry for the better, but we have to do it ourselves.

POSTED BY elheber on Jul 31, 2016

From the start I’ve always considered myself a content consumer, not creator. Essentially I’m one of GameLust’s first readers.

I do and will make articles/reviews once in a while, but I don’t feel pressured into doing so or anything. As a consumer, though, I want to support the creators that make the content I read. I don’t block [unintrusive] ads. I have YouTube Red to support the creators there, and I’m a Patreon patron of Easy Allies (former GameTrailers staff). The way I see it, I’ve been supporting my favorite creators since I was a kid saving up for yearly gaming magazine subscriptions.

I really like the concept of GameLust doling out a portion of its revenue to anyone that posts genuine content; not because I stand to gain a buck or two posting articles, but because I want to support gamers that make them. I’m not sure if I said it here or somewhere else, but I’d love tip jars that go directly to the author of an article. Like if GameSpot’s article “upvote” button took a buck from my Google Play wallet and gave it to the person that wrote it. The proposed Patreon system here in the ballpark of that.

That said, Rob, I think the details of how this will work need to be clearly outlined as soon as you can. How would authors get kickbacks/compensation in the first place? Through Patreon? Is there a system like that in place? Or am I understanding this wrong?

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Aug 01, 2016

I’d like to say that I have this great plan and this is how this is going to work out, but the truth is I have no idea how this will work. A lot of these things are simply unpredictable. While the my Patreon has a $400+ tier, I don’t think that I will ever hit that tier in 2017, or maybe even 2018. As I’ve said before, I’m not building this site to make money. If we do, that’s great! Otherwise, I’ll be content as long as the site brings in enough money to support itself.

The setup so far is that every individual can link their personal Patreon, and the Patreon Emblem will go directly to their Patreon account. It’s basically a 1 to 1 for everyone except myself. For the individual creator/author, they can do whatever they want with the funds given to them, that’s what I mean by 1 to 1. For myself, the funds are basically for gamelust, not for any article I may write. I tried to explain how the funds will be distributed on my Patreon as best as I could, but it doesn’t look like Patreon likes to display all of the information on a users profile page. I will include a detailed description of how we are going to use the funds we get at the bottom of this post.

To answer your question about compensation, yes, it will be through Patreon. Though I can probably add a PayPal option to the users profile as well. Either way the user will basically get double taxed since Patreon collects 10% when we receive and again when we pay others. PayPal will be the same, though I do not remember what % of the funds they take. Either way, I am not too keen on the idea of us gathering any financial information to redistribute funds for security reasons. But there really is no system in place right now, I’m not even sure there is an example I can use to try and clone. We might be the pioneers in this type of crowdfunded site right now.

I do think this is the way of the future though. It kind of falls in line with the cord-cutting way of thinking. People are tired of paying for content in bulk when 90% of it is crap they don’t want, this kind of works the same, they pay for the creators they want to continue creating content, and not the ones they don’t care for. It might not yield a high ROI(Return on Investment) for us, but I’m not really concerned with that. As long as the site can support itself and we can help some of the authors out financially I’ll be happy with how things play out.

Lastly, I’m open to ideas from you guys as well. If you think there’s a better option out there let me know. I’m always open to feedback and I think it’s been fairly obvious that I do consider all of it. Let me know what you think.

How Gamelust will use Patreon: Starting in January, the first $100 that comes in will basically be paying for the hosting. We are currently sitting on a temporary host that has limited bandwidth and storage space with a site that’s built on high resolution imagery at a cost of $25/m. The server I have picked out for January will be at least $90/month.

The second tier is for when we make between $100-200 a month on patreon, basically that whole tier is dedicated to buying advertising on social media sites and spreading our reach. I would love to have this site spread simply by word of mouth, but so far things just aren’t progressing fast enough for word of mouth to be an effective means of growth.

The third tier is for $201-400 a month, and that is the tier where we will start dividing up the funds and redistributing them to our content creators. Yes it will be an even split between a pre-determined number of creators, but I have no idea how many that will be. It will most likely have to adjust quite often based on how active the site is and how much we have to distribute. If we only have an extra $50 to distribute it wont really benefit the creators to divide it up among 25 people, so I’d like to keep it so there is some kind of real value to those who get the funds.

The last tier is set for $400-500 a month, but it’s really everything beyond $400 a month. This is the trickiest one because I’m not entirely sure how we will use this should we ever reach that goal. Right now I’d like to have it split 50/50 where half of the extra funds goes to the staff, while the rest is split between contest giveaways, purchasing games for staff to review(since we currently do not get review copies from the publishers) and increasing the pot to be spread back to the creators. When it comes to spreading the $400+ tier to the creators, as the amount of income increases, the percentage given back will increase as well.

As I said before, this is all uncharted territory for myself. I don’t even know if this has been done before. Until we reach the point where we can actually start distributing funds back to the creators this will be our best guess for how this will work.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Aug 05, 2016

I’m going for it. I think at a per-project pay structure folks can help me out as they see fit. I’m a bit unclear how it works in that regard – where does one project end on Patreon and how do I launch a new one? Not sure… will have to figure it out

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Aug 05, 2016

I would suggest going with the monthly subscription on Patreon, and I’ll work on adding PayPal as an option for one-time donations. Seems the one time payments on Patreon don’t work as I had expected, so having multiple ways to support or be supported will be required. I should have PayPal support added by next week. I’d get it done today but I don’t have any free time to work on the site until Monday.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Apr 22, 2017

Howdy – I took a stab at setting this up, but have run into a problem. I don’t know if I’m being super dense, but I can’t find a user ID # anywhere. Is it possible they did away with this? My user ID / Creator Page URL simply ends with /RexRanae (which is problematic, because our GameLust setting for Patreon currently requires a numerical entry)

Incidentally, I took a screenshot to show where I am in Patreon and what info is available – but the forum Add Media button won’t give me an option to upload a file (tried in Firefox and Edge on Win 10 in fullscreen mode on a 1080p display)

Anyway, any help is welcome!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  Rex ranae.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Apr 23, 2017

Yeah, I think they changed something so now you can’t see your ID anymore. I’ll make an adjustment tomorrow so that it now supports both ID and the Patreon URL.

Thanks for the heads up!

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Jun 09, 2017

Did the Patreon ID thing every get a look?

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jun 09, 2017

Looked at yes, solution turned out to be more difficult than I expected. I hope to start developing soon after E3, been so busy writing and preparing for E3 I haven’t had time to code anything.  I’ve got to integrate patreons API with the website so I can ‘scrape’ patreon for your ID. Once I’ve figured that out I will issue an update.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jul 27, 2017

Good news, I’ve finally got this working on my test page. Though with my luck I’m sure they’ll patch this out and render it broken.

The API won’t work, they don’t provide the access I need to go from username to id.

The method I use to get this information is very hacky and isn’t ideal because it is likely that patreon will eventually block the way this works. For now this will work though.

I’ll probably get to work on integrating this with the user system tonight or tomorrow, may not show up until next week.

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Aug 27, 2017

Hm, this doesn’t seem to work still. Gamelust accepts anything in the patreon id field now, but the Patreon ID (RexRanae), the full Patreon user URL, and a URL linking to the “become a patron” page – none of those work

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Aug 27, 2017

Yeah, still a work in progress. Once a user submits a username for patreon we have to ‘scrape’ patreon for the user id and store that in the database. I guess I got distracted by other things and went with the flow while I was making progress. You’d think I’d be done by now, but 3 years later I’m still working on basic features I planned out a while ago.

I’ll try to fit this in during the week of 8-27 through 9-2. So far I’ve got a Twitch button going on the home page when our streamers are online, I’ve got a new registration/login combo page about to debut to hopefully help with the signup issues I’m still seeing, this Patreon issue, and finishing up the journalism jobs forms so users can submit resumes and available jobs.

I’ve also still got ongoing issues with the public profile pages as BuddyPress made those very hard to customize and act like stuck up assholes to anyone who asks a question. Almost every issue I research has dismissive responses questioning why someone would want to do that. Annoying as shit and a huge part of me wishes I hadn’t integrated the service into the site so deep so I still had a chance to build my own service.

Commenting is still a huge pain in the ass as well, I never updated the Ajax to handle new comments with the current theme so it looks like a giant hairy asshole currently. Also haven’t fixed the issue with loading TinyMCE twice so all reply boxes have the full wysiwyg editor. Behind on updating the game list and adding cover boxes for those. Way behind on adding our sponsor links so the site can make some money.

But there is good news…

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Sep 17, 2017

No worries, just let me know when you believe it’s fixed and I’ll test it again!

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 20, 2017

So this should be fixed now. I do not know if this method will continue to work in the future as most sites frown upon it. I have to scrape the id off of the patreon user page so that I can direct traffic directly to the become a patron page. Patreons API is still a bit rough and I’m not even sure if they’ve realized the potential of sites like ours being able to embed patreon directly into the core of the site.

I dont think any testing needs to be done just yet, if there is a patreon username on the account it’ll automatically scrape the id. I’ll keep an eye out for an updated API that allows me to grab an id from a un in the future.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 25, 2017

Might as well update this page as well. I’m looking further into the Patreon API and I believe I may have finally wrapped my head around how to use it. I’ll be posting a new thread in the general chat area of the forums(Shooting the Shit) so that we can generate a good discussion on the subject. Integrating the API into the core of what we do here will enhance our ability to make this concept an actual benefit to anyone who wants to use it.

Also, I re-read the whole thread and I realize I failed to build the PayPal option for you guys, I’m sorry for that and I will try to make sure that goes back up to the top of my todo list.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.