Nintendo Switch Presentation Is Almost Here!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  elheber 7 months ago.

• POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jan 11, 2017

So it’s almost that time, another 36-ish hours and we’ll finally know much of what there is to know about the Nintendo Switch.

Please note that the below information is to be considered a spoiler. If you want tomorrows show to be filled with a ton of surprises, skip reading the OP and reply with what you hope to see during the show, or whether or not you plan on coming on to chat with us in our chat room on Twitch.

If you are interested in watching the show with us jump on our twitch page and come chat with us. We’ll be showing the stream on the site with our channels chat, as well as hosting their stream on the gamelust twitch channel. You can find the twitch page here… http://gamelust.com/twitch/ or check out the twitch channel at https://www.twitch.tv/gamelust.

If you’re looking for a good read-up on the Nintendo Switch based on its initial reveal, I’d highly recommend checking out elhebers article Overanalyzing the Nintendo Switch Reveal Trailer. Probably my favorite article on the site so far.

Although we had planned to write up a round up article gathering all of the known facts and rumors surrounding the new Nintendo console, we did gather quite a bit of data and I am curious to see how much of the news we were able to dig up will end up being correct. Though I did want the article posted so I could use it to advertise our site on our social networks, it’s no ones fault that the article did not get made. I had plenty of opportunity to do it myself and had planned to write it as far back as Xmas. But I was not able to motivate myself to what would have probably required 5-10 hours of work and endless amounts of research to get everything right. Can’t fault anyone else for not wanting to do what I couldn’t bring myself to do either.

So, about those news and rumors, lets start off with our own report that the Switch would launch March 4th 2017. Looking back we were sure the Switch would release in the month of March, but probably got a little too excited to try and nail the exact day the console would launch. March 4th originally came from the release date of the Zelda: Breath of the Wild Amiibo release date off of the Nintendo UK website. Based on past launches of new Amiibo figures, new figures tend to usually drop day 1 with the game. Although Breath of the Wild may still ‘ship’ on March 4th for the Switch, that does not mean the console will ship the same date. I originally got my copy of Killzone: Shadowfall 16 days prior to the release of the Playstation 4 console, so a game arriving prior to the console launch is not unheard of. Right now I currently believe the system will launch somewhere around the 17th-21st.

Another leak out of the UK, several retailers listed the price of the console at £199.99(roughly $245). Based on Nintendo’s own track record this is a highly likely price point for the system. Nintendo does not usually build expensive hardware, and almost always sells the device for a profit, something their competition can’t always do.

When it comes to performance we know a few things. We know that based on the patents Nintendo filed that the handheld will connect to the docking unit via USB-C. We assume this is for both charging purposes and to display the console on a secondary display unit(i.e. TV/Monitor), there does not appear to be any way to charge the unit while in kickstand mode considering the location of this port is on the very bottom of the unit. There was also this article on Eurogamer detailing the power specifications for the handheld both solo and docked. While I’m not going to pretend I understand all of the little details of their analysis, I do understand that it would appear the console will display at 720p undocked, and may be capable of 1080p/30 while docked.

What everybody really wants to know about is the games, and that’s where I had done a lot of research looking for hints at what games may come out for the console during it’s launch window. So here’s the list of games I have found, along with some notes and details/sources.

• Beyond Good & Evil: The Prejudices of Philosophers – (sauce – rumor) Title may be old, rumored to be exclusive to the Switch for 12 months.
    • Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (sauce) – Stated in a dev blog that the game was coming to Playstation, Xbox, and one more console(but not Vita or WiiU) in Spring 2017.
    • Constructor (sauce)
    • Cube Life: Island Survival (sauce) – Minecraft clone and popular WiiU indie title getting Switch & PC upgrade.
    • Dark Souls 3 (sauce – rumor, chances are low, guessing 10% chance this releases) – Rumor is that From Software has Dark Souls running on Switch and are considering possibly releasing a Dark Souls Trilogy pack on the Switch.
    • Dragon Quest X (sauce) DQX and XI both confirmed during a press conference in 2015 for Playstation 4 and Switch. Not confirmed for Western release.
    • Dragon Quest XI
    • Dungeon of Zaar (sauce) Kickstarter Project and Greenlit on Steam, development team says they love Switch and promise to release their game on the platform, 50/50 chance this succeeds.
    • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Special Edition (rumor) Rumored to be a launch title with mod support similar to the Playstation 4 mods, existing assets only.
    • Guardians of the Galaxy: A Telltale Game (rumor) Rumored but believable, not hard to envision Telltale supporting the Nintendo console.
    • Just Dance 2017 (sauce) – One of the first games confirmed for the console, 13 year old girls are giddy with excitement.
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild – Currently this title is rumored to be ready at launch in North America and Japan only with a Euro release to come within 3 months.
    • LEGO City Undercover (sauce) Announced on the WBGames twitter feed for Spring 2017.
    • Mario 3D Switch title
    • Mario Kart 8 port(sauce – also seen in the reveal trailer)
    • Mario Maker port (sauce)
    • Mario RPG: Rabbids Kingdom Battle
    • Mech Super eXtended (sauce) Listed by employee on LinkedIn profile.
    • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (sauce) – Monster Boy is a spiritual successor to the classic Wonder Boy games from the 8 & 16 bit eras.
    • Monster Hunter (rumor) Capcom is known to support the console, and Monster Hunter is one of the most popular Capcom franchises on Nintendo devices so one way or another this title will eventually come out, whether it is a launch title or not is yet to be seen. I’d say 20% chance it’s out during the launch window, 100% chance an MH game comes to the Switch at some time.
    • Nobunaga’s Ambition Title (sauce 1sauce 2 in Japanese, brief transcript in sauce 1) Announced new title in the franchise would come to the Switch during press event.
    • NBA 2k17
    • Oceanhorn (sauce) Can’t find the original Press Release, but FDG Ent did retweet this link on their Twitter profile so that kind of confirms this title potentially coming to the Switch. This looks like a really good Windwaker clone with voice acting and music from known Final Fantasy vets.
    • Pikmin 4 (sauce)
    • Pokemon Stars (sauce)
    • Project CARS 2 (sauce – rumor) – SMS stated that the original game development would..err.. switch… to the next Nintendo console if they could not get the game running on the WiiU. At the time I do not believe they had known that console wouldn’t come out until 2017. With most of their staff working on the successor to Project CARS it is more likely that the sequel will debut on the Switch.
    • Rayman Legends Port (sauce – rumor) This one is believable, UbiSoft usually supports new Nintendo consoles for the first 6 months, after that is anyones guess.
    • Rime (sauce) – Re-revealed as a multi-platform title coming to Playstation 4, Xbox One and Switch by IGN First!
    • Rise: Race the Future (sauce) Racing game that was revealed with a blurred Switch logo in June, developers went dark immediately afterwards but have prior successes with the classic V-Rally series.
    • Rive (sauce) Rumored that the Wii U version is being dropped for a Switch version instead, developers having trouble achieving 60fps on the WiiU.
    • Riverside (sauce) Interesting concept with this game, kind of a sandbox building game like Minecraft, but you change the world by altering the textures. Very artistic.
    • The Sacred Hero (sauce) Recently announced title scheduled to release in 2018.
    • Seasons of Heaven (sauce) – Indie title from Square Enix based on French Novel of the same name, visually stunning!
    • Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (sauce – same for both SK games listed) Stand-alone version of the 3rd Shovel Knight campaign.
    • Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove – Compilation pack featuring all 3 Shovel Knight campaigns, including Specter of Torment
    • Sonic the Hedgehog 2017 (sauce) – Announced at the San Diego Comic Con 2016, looks like a co-op Sonic Adventure game, end credits list NX as release platform.
    • Splatoon Port (sauce – also seen in the reveal trailer)
    • Stardew Valley (sauce)  – Announced game would be coming to the Switch instead of WiiU
    • Sunu Ikkibu: Din Grammar (sauce 1sauce 2) Not sure what to think of these guys, looks like an indie team from Spain. Oddly enough though, they promised to show off their game January 13th well before Nintendo announced the treehouse broadcast.
    • Super Smash Bros 4 Port (sauce)
    • Tank It! (sauce) Anti-war game by indie developer b-plus.
    • Watch Dogs 2 (rumor)
    • Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap – Odd to have a sequel and spiritual successor to the same franchise in a single year. This is rumored to be coming to Switch, currently just listed as ‘Consoles/PC’
    • Xenoblade Chronicles X port (rumored)
    • Yooka-Laylee (sauce) Confirmed for 2017 by Playtonic(sauce), launches on other devices April 11th, Switch release date currently unknown.

Steamworld developer Image & Form have also announced that they are working on new title for the Nintendo Switch.

Grasshopper Manufactures is supposed to have a game for the Switch as well, no word yet on whether that will be Let it Die, The Silver Case HD, or both.

Eurogamer has also reported that Switch “will be able to play GameCube games via its Virtual Console service”.

Please be patient, I am updating this as I find information, there are a lot of games we know about, some of which aren’t reported, or are reported incorrectly by the likes of Eurogamer and GameSpot.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jan 11, 2017

Out of the entire list there are only two games I am not that confident in, but listed them because having them on the platform just makes too much sense to me. Those games are Dark Souls 3 and Monster Hunter. From Software is known to be working with the Switch right now, and it would make sense that they would test their flagship title on the platform, but something just tells me that LKD’s sources on that title are weak. The Monster Hunter rumor comes from an image that may or may not be faked, which is why I did not include the list or any other details from that list(i.e. release dates), but it makes a lot of sense considering how often Monster Hunter games appear on Nintendo platforms. Also the Japanese release date for MH XX is March 18th, which is literally right on top of the WW release date rumored for the Switch console.

POSTED BY elheber on Jan 12, 2017

This is where it’s at. You went in-depth on this. Indeed I hadn’t seen it. Let’s just let the other get buried.

Lemme add the things that stand out to me that you didn’t mention:

Laura Kate Dale, the single biggest source of rumors for the Switch, has her entire reputation riding on this presentation. I can’t wait to see what her batting average will be when this is done.

Eurogamer’s Switch-Virtual-Console report mentions that Super Smash Bros. Melee is a huge driving force behind Nintendo wanting to build the GameCube Virtual Console. That game would be major news to Nintendo fans. If Nintendo demos it or even just announces it as an upcoming title later in the console’s life, it’ll be like they dropped a megaton bomb on the gaming world. You’ll see reaction videos of people just screaming for ten minutes.

I’m afraid of the flood of peripherals that is potentially coming our way. My doomsday scenario entails Nintendo announcing a barebones Switch bundle that only has the tablet console and omits the dock. With so many “optional” accessories already known, it scares me to think of all the ones we don’t know of.

We have no solid reason to believe Metroid Prime 4 (or any Metroid) will be there, but Retro Studios has long been rumored to be working on a Metroid game in at least some capacity. Whatever they’ve been working on since at least 2014 (when they finished Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze) hasn’t been announced yet. If they aren’t making a Metroid game, I’m at least expecting this to be where they unveil whatever they’re doing for the Switch.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jan 12, 2017

I was following Emily Rogers, Tom Phillips, LKD and a few others. Tom has the credibility since he works for a bigger and still somewhat trustworthy publication. So I basically looked for the things that all 3 appeared to agree on and went from there. Most of the games were me hunting down the sources where these things were announced.

I agree that GameCube VC will be huge for the core fanbase, but I find it odd that they would have both Melee and 4 on this system, seems like the two games would immediately step on each others toes. I don’t think Metroid Prime 4 is coming any time soon either, everything I’ve found so far suggested they may be working on a new IP entirely and that we may even find out what that is tonight.

I also fear that you are right on the accessories deal and that we may get a bunch of that tonight, I do not however believe the unit will ship w/out a dock for $250. I think it ships with the handheld, 1 set of joycons, the dock, cables for power and hdmi to TV, and maybe the joycon pro controller. They will sell docks separately, I believe those will be $99.99 and Nintendo hopes gamers will buy 2 or 3 so they can move their game from one dock to another. Wife wants the TV? No problem, just move your Switch to the TV in the bedroom. I don’t think it’ll be handheld only with a charge cable since the unit can’t be charged in kickstand mode due to the charge port being on the bottom of the unit. Plus it sounds like a short battery life at 3 hours so you’ll need to charge it often.

I do believe someone will come up with an attachment for the base that acts as a portable battery like the ones you see for phones. Snap it on the bottom and extend your battery life from 3.5 to 6 or 7 hours.

I did hear Hori had an arcade stick for the console already, don’t know if that was revealed at CES already.

I also heard 32gb internal storage, cartridges are 32gb and memory is expandable by 128gb.

I think my biggest hope right now is just for Nintendo to come out and have an actual show. I want to be wowed! Make a spectacle of it and leave me feeling like I NEED to own one. I want to know they’re still in this fight.

POSTED BY elheber on Jan 12, 2017

I’m predicting $300 for Console+JoyCons+Toaster, charge cable, HDMI cable and a bundled game (MK8+). And I too believe the toaster will be sold separately, except for somewhere around $59-69 with its own charger and HDMI cable.

The charge cable AFAICT will work on both the console itself and through the toaster, just like the 3DS does it with its optional charging stand. If you charge it with only the cable, you’d simply hold it in your hands as you play like you do with a 3DS.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jan 12, 2017

I think you’re right on the price of the bundle with a game. LKD suggested the pack-in would be Splatoon, but I can see them having multiple SKU’s with different pack-in games, why not have a Splatoon Bundle, MK8 Bundle, a Smash Bros Bundle, AND an Zelda Bundle all on Day 1? They would sell a ton.

POSTED BY elheber on Jan 14, 2017

The presentation was shit.

POSTED BY mastermetal777 on Jan 14, 2017

I think Nintendo has lost their touch lately. They’re terrible at marketing their products, they seem woefully behind on certain industry trends and standards, plus their launch lineup is pitiful. 4 games only? Really, Nintendo?

POSTED BY elheber on Jan 18, 2017

One day I’m going to write an article or review where all I say is something is shit. Just those few words.

The Switch reveal made me think they were finally focused. I expected motion and touch controls, but I thought those features would be relegated to the back end and not really focused on. The reveal trailer was short and to the point; however, in the presentation they took over 10 minutes to explain what only took them 3 in the reveal trailer. They showed a trailer for a game, then they explained on stage what was already shown n the video. What’s the point of the video if you have to explain it all over again?

And then they spent about 15 minutes calling developers on stage to talk about maybe making games on the Switch. That was time they could have spent on putting more game trailers up on screen. They didn’t show Mario Kart 8 Deluxe!

Finally, at the end they teased Zelda’s release date to no end! Reggie asks for the release date from Miyamoto… “Aonuma knows.” Aonuma says, “fuck you all, why would I know? Ask Kimishima.” Kimishima ignores all of that for like 5 minutes as he explains what’s in the box, then throws to an unnamed trailer without so much as hinting the trailer will answer our plight.

Koizumi was cool. He should be the new host of Nintendo Direct.

But he had some problems of his own. Why the hell would you come on stage wearing Mario gear and then start by apologizing for wearing Mario gear? Don’t apologize for that. For a lot of the event, he was embarrassed of himself. That couch needed to be sat on for much longer than he did. That said, he and the 3 big trailers were the best part of the conference.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.