Let's Talk Process: Reviews

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Fudge Golem 1 week, 5 days ago.

• POSTED BY Fudge Golem on Sep 29, 2017

I’ve been tied up with projects at work, but I wanted to start a discussion of the processes of submitting reviews. I figure if we get this out in the open and clarified, its more likely more of the 150+ users will step up to add reviews. Hopefully this is the right part of the Forums to discuss it.

So in other discussions about reviews across the Forums that I’ve read, I’ve heard talk of a “database” and adding games to that database to review them. Is this the database?: http://gamelust.com/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=game Or is it somewhere else?

Say I had the following games I wanted to work up reviews for:

New

• Heat Signature
    • Divinity Original Sin 2

Old

• Flotilla
    • Atom Zombie Smasher
    • Sunless Sea
    • Jazz Punk

Steam Early Access

• Rim World
    • Factorio

Can I just add them to the database and then write up reviews for them, or do I have to send a request through sn0w?

Thanks!

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 03, 2017

Yes, that is the correct area to submit a new game to be added, they’re still posted for review so I have to approve them. In general though I simply tell people to let me know what they want added and I will do all of the work finding the data and adding it. If you want to add a game though the only item needed is the Title of the game, I can find the rest of the information.

I’ve had the task of making a simpler gui for the site on my plate for a long time, it’s incredibly difficult to build so that project has stalled out a few times. Just another reminder that I really need to get off my ass and write the Fall 2017 update blog so I know what’s done and what I need to work on.

Sorry for the delayed response, typed it out and never hit submit, been bogged down at work as well. Usually stay late to work on here but still tits deep in Destiny 2.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY Fudge Golem on Oct 03, 2017

Got it!

Well to save you some time (I’m sure this site can be a handful) I will add two for your approval. Then more as needed.

Then maybe I can spin up a little guide with screenshots so others could do the same? Would that be helpful? I figure the less admin burden on you, the more you can focus on meaningful stuff like the Fall updates.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 05, 2017

Anything you can help with would be greatly appreciated. I have a section in the Jobs area for one or multiple guides for potential writers, but since I’m a programmer first and writer last I didn’t feel competent enough to write one up.

I think I’ve just been a bit burnt out lately with Destiny 2 coming out. I looked back at my backlog and had 6 or 7 brand new unopened games sitting untouched since April, haven’t been able to get back in gear. Looking at the news section I’ve got 4 or 5 articles I started and never finished, I’ve got 10-15 reviews unpublished all the way back to last August.

I think right now I’m going to hopefully finish this damn raid real soon and once I’ve done that I’ll be back working on the site full-time. I’ve got a few things I need to finish, like the previously mentioned Jobs area. I’ve also got to finish the homepage so it has dynamic loaded content again. Also need to re-introduce elements we lost in the redesign, like the random quotes. I’ll let you know when I’ve got the Fall Update checklist up if you want to read through everything I need to work on. The older update posts are in the Blogs area if you want to see how the site evolved since we started up again 3 years ago.

As with my last post, I didn’t finish the post before eod last night at work, took 24 hours to write a reply. lol

POSTED BY Fudge Golem on Oct 10, 2017

Totally understand on the backlog. I have a review for Heat Signature about 90% done, and a few more Games You Missed articles in their initial stages. I’ll knock those out, and then write some site guides for your review/approval.

I’m traveling for work next week, so outside of my work hours, I won’t have many distractions or responsibilities. I should be able to slam through a bunch of projects for the site.

And yeah, I am interested in Gamelust’s history, so I will read through those articles. I was looking through the site’s Twitter and realized how long you all have been around. That’s pretty sweet!

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 10, 2017

Oh  man, the history here is a lot longer than most know. This started for me as electrickz.com in 2000. I was writing reviews in a notebook while working at six flags. Building every page manually. In 2003-ish i moved the work over to xblgamer.com which was any Xbox focused site. Then in June of 2006 i registered this domain and started bugging my buddy in college to help me build this.

Wasn’t until e3 2014 that we finally had the right tools and ability to create a site like this. In many ways I have been working on this for 17 years. But the modern gamelust… its barely 3 years old.

If anything, I think we set a good example for others that you can achieve your dreams if you persevere. But my ultimate goal is to have a positive impact on the gaming community as a whole. In that sense, gamelust is just beginning.

POSTED BY Fudge Golem on Oct 11, 2017

That passion and follow through is awesome. You should write up this history sometime in a blog or blog series here, I’m sure other gamers would like to read it and be inspired for their own projects.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.