Input Requested - Further integration of Patreon.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  xsuicidesn0wmanx 1 week, 1 day ago.

• POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 25, 2017

Hello everyone. I’m posting this in the general area to begin but will be moving this to the Error Reporting section by Thanksgiving 2017. You can consider this an announcement as well as a discussion and debugging thread all in one.

So here’s the deal, Patreon launched their API today and opened up a community for us developers to help shape the API, which has put me back being tits deep in exploring their API. I never figured out how to use the API to get your ID, but I also was an idiot and assumed the Patreon ID was the numerical value attached to your account. I think I have a better understanding of this now than I did before and that opens up the possibility of really expanding our integration of Patreon into the site.

When I say I would like to expand our Patreon integration I’m thinking about things like displaying your ‘perks’ and stuff like that on the page, what people get for contributing to you as well as the ability to become a patron directly on gamelust rather than requiring people to go to patreon.com.

One of the interesting additions would be the ability to place your content behind a paywall, which is where I start to have some reservations. I have the feeling that this is good for the creator though as a consumer I absolutely hate it. Right now I’m thinking that I’d prefer to have a limit on how long content can stay behind a paywall. But, this site being for you guys more than myself, I want your thoughts on that. I’ll post mine in a separate response.

If this is your first time hearing about Patreon I would encourage you to check out https://www.patreon.com/ and sign up for an account there. If you would like more information on how we will be using Patreon on the site and how this actually benefits you then you should check out this old thread detailing our Patreon Support Plan.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 25, 2017

So the big issue for me is the potential for content to be temporarily locked behind a paywall. I’d like to at least discuss setting some guidelines for how this can be used here. A good example would be if some gaming news breaks, i.e. “Major Nelson announces 4 new Xbox One backwards compatible games,” this should be considered ‘public domain’ and not be stuck behind the paywall. However if a user wants to write an article discussing the moral implications of a game mechanic or story such as this one on Polygon(Middle-Earth: Shadow of War is at war with itself over slavery) I see no reason why they should not be allowed to make their content exclusive to their Patrons for a limited time.

One thing about the paywall that I still have to research is whether Patreon handles time limits on this content or not. If there is no limitations on their end I would like to discuss having them on ours. This could be 48 hours, 7 days, or even an entire month if that is what you guys want. I just want to be able to ensure that the content will be available for everyone at some point. I don’t want any of our content restricted from view for eternity. Personally I’d prefer 7 days or less, and I would hope that we can all agree on 30 days being the max time limit even on the table.

I hope we can get some good discussion on this so I’ll be leaving this in this area for a while so as many people see the topic as possible.

POSTED BY Fudge Golem on Oct 28, 2017

I acknowledge that everyone is free to run their Patreon however they want, but I’d strongly advise anyone against paywalling the main content we want this site to provide, namely reviews, news, and game-related articles.

I’m against this for two reasons; one we need more content to draw in more readers, and two, I know paywalls are a huge turnoff for me as a reader on other sites. That’s why I am here at Gamelust contributing. I like the no-ad/ad-light model, and I like the Patreon integration where the creator has to earn their keep from those who can afford to pay for their content.

I think the main content, reviews, news, and gaming articles should always be available for free with the hope that people find it valuable and are willing to chip in when they can. However, I also know this site is expensive to run, and it is hard to do extra work on top of a regular job for free. I think the best compromise is making special types of content available to Patreons only. That would be stuff like contributors getting together in person and playing games or doing live reviews. Basically projects you have talked about before, sn0w. Some of these should be available for free, or at least on Youtube, for people to get a feel for them and see if it is worth their patronage. The rest can be made available exclusively to Patreons.

POSTED BY Fudge Golem on Oct 28, 2017

To clarify by what I meant by saying reviews, news, and gaming articles should be free: I meant freely available, not that they are exempt from all types of monetizing.

Also, there are some in depth investigative journalism pieces I am planning. In depth interviews, research into the history of games, or other detailed or even multi-part articles. That is the type of content that would probably be patron-only. Things that are the products of scores or even hundreds of hours.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 30, 2017

Sounds like you and I are on the same page. That’s good to hear.

POSTED BY Fudge Golem on Oct 30, 2017

Woohoo!

Once everyone chimes in, we can set recommended patreon guidelines. But everyone is free to run their content how they want.

We’ll see what the cabal has to say!

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Dec 03, 2017

This sounds reasonable to me – I would definitely hate to see obtrusive paywalls, as I don’t think that’s an improvement over the model a lot of larger sites follow. I also think that since the site is just burgeoning it needs to be as attractive as possible to potential readers and contributors. Maybe if it was the biggest hottest shit on the web, people would bend over backwards and open their wallets to play, but what sets us apart is how non-slimy the place is!

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Dec 03, 2017

Yeah, it’s looking like things are going to change here in the immediate future. I’ve got a ton of writers who have responded to an ad I posted, we might have a ton of content coming in and then we’ll see if my crowdfunded business model is going to work at all.

POSTED BY Fudge Golem on Dec 04, 2017

That’s awesome, it will be cool to see an influx of content and readers!

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Dec 04, 2017

Open up Discord, they’re in there!

We’ve got 18 people in the room, half of which want to write for us.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.