/

I started using GameMaker again

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of elheber elheber 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Profile photo of elheber

POSTED BY elheber on Jan 08, 2017

GameMaker 2 is in beta right now, so the developers made GameMaker Studio 1.x for free some time ago. I only just noticed yesterday and downloaded it (1.x not 2) and am only getting myself reacquainted with it. But I can already feel the urge to spend countless hours on it again; the urge that captivated me in my college days and caused me to miss assignments.

Anyway, my problem with GM was always that I’d bite off more than I could chew. I’d go long stretches working on the hard parts of a project and rarely finish them to a point I felt rewarded. I’d get bored with a project before they bore fruit.

I’ve gotta give myself small projects first, but all the ones in my head are medium to large. So what I have to do is brainstorm tiny, single-room projects with minimal sprite art and music/SFX. Possibly a puzzle game.

"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."

Profile photo of xsuicidesn0wmanx

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Jan 08, 2017

If you want to team up on something I’d be interested in trying to create a game again. I’m sure I could find some time to code something up in between working on this site now that I’m caught up at work.

I’ve been thinking about trying to build a 4 player free for all chess game the past week or so, I think it’d be more fun than the traditional 1v1 chess. Still have that stick figure 2d side scroller and the ddr/streets of rage game cooking in the old brain too.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

Profile photo of elheber

POSTED BY elheber on Jan 09, 2017

I’m down for all that. But I still have to start and finish small projects from beginning to end first. Taking on too huge a project is a big problem of mine. I want to start small.

Right now I’m thinking like a Tetris style puzzle game except all the pieces are already fallen, and all you can do is rotate the fallen pieces (so long as nothing is in the way) so that everything falls down on top of itself in a way that fills gaps. Or maybe some sort of single-room platformer with some unique twist. I’m still trying to figure out something small and simple.

Profile photo of mastermetal777

POSTED BY mastermetal777 on Jan 11, 2017

Dude, Id love to help if you’d like. I have some programming experience.

Profile photo of Rex ranae

POSTED BY Rex ranae on Jan 21, 2017

How professional is GameMaker? Like, is it a serious platform for making a game your friends would want to spend real time playing? Or is it more built for indulging a creative outlet but without the intent for the end product to be anything you would want to return to as a player? That is, more of an “it’s about the journey, not the destination” situation.

Profile photo of elheber

POSTED BY elheber on Jan 21, 2017

The largest game that was made in GameMaker was Hotline Miami (and the sequel). It’s a legitimate professional platform, but it’s not as viable for professionals as Unity or UE.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.