Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - First Impressions
  • POSTED BY Joel Castro on Nov 06, 2016

Because I’m smart, I rented this title instead of buying it. I move further into the campaign, and I see signs that things are looking up for the series in terms of storytelling. No, the setup is not something brand new. It’s pretty much a mishmash of Battlestar Galactica, Mass Effect, and a bit of Destiny. However, the pacing is incredible. It’s not just non-stop action like we saw in the last 3 Call of Duty games. There are actual moments of down time that you get to play through, and even some character development scenes for some of the cast, making this feel like the most well-rounded story after the original Modern Warfare (no, I’m not playing the remastered MW, cuz rental). It’s not the greatest story ever, but it is well-written and does its job well. The structure is different too, allowing you to pick and choose which missions to do first, with you taking command of a space vessel that acts as your main hub (no mission briefings to break up each mission either; it all seamlessly transitions). The gameplay mechanics of zero-G combat and outer space dogfights fit this game well, and all control smooth as butter (makes me mad that No Man’s Sky dogfights were so shitty). Enemies are smarter, and strategies revolve around more than just taking cover and shooting, as some weapons are more effective against either humans or machines, making you think about your loadout within each mission and combat encounter. Enemies even take a bit more to kill, making it less of a twitch-fest than previous campaigns. Overall, I’m very impressed with the campaign so far. Haven’t played the multiplayer yet, so I’ll have impressions of that later on.

POSTED BY kaenna on Nov 09, 2016

What you’ve written seems to be similar to what I’ve been reading. A lot of people are praising the campaign a lot, the thing is I’m uncertain about buying the game still. I really want MW remastered as I played an insane amount of that when it first released and still think that it is one of the best multiplayer FPS experiences I’ve had. My issue is that I don’t want to spend a huge amount of money if I am going to play the remaster, which is highly possible as I just don’t particularly like the theme of Infinite Warfare even if the campaign is much improved.

My only experience with the series recently is playing some multiplayer on friends consoles and I don’t like all the flying around and wall running that the game has now. That said, I may pick it up at some point when I have less games to play!

POSTED BY Joel Castro on Nov 09, 2016

The multiplayer doesn’t do any of the truly cool shit in the campaign. This might be the only Call of Duty where the single-player is the superior mode.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.