Ad System is now Live on News and Review pages.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  xsuicidesn0wmanx 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Feb 22, 2017

It is still a work in progress, but the basic ad system I’ve been talking about since Day 1 has been implemented. We have plans to reduce it’s footprint so that it takes up less space on the page.

This system only displays the option to buy the game(s) linked in the article it appears on. In the future, once we move to the upgraded server, this system will act as a real-time price comparison tool that will have the ability to show you the current sale price for the game on both Amazon.com and Best Buy.com.

This will not cost our users a single penny. In fact, I am hopeful that this will help everyone find the best deal possible. Every time you come to our site and click a link for Amazon or Best Buy we will collect a small fee for directing sales towards these two businesses. With so many people turning to Amazon and Best Buy for their gaming needs, we are hopeful that people will come to the site, see an article or video that reminds them that they want to buy the game. We basically make 30-60 cents for every game sold through us, but with enough support that can not only pay for the site operations, it’ll allow us to start paying a lot of these hardworking journalists who deserve to collect some compensation for their content.

We will also have the Patreon option and PayPal option to subscribe/donate to us as well. We are also planning on collecting ad revenue from sponsors that will be embedded directly in our YouTube videos.

All of these will be funneled back into the website and it’s members. As I have stated previously, the first $100-150 will go to pay for the hosting and other fees, the next chunk will go directly to the users in the form of Patreon subscriptions or PayPal donations. After a certain amount that funding will be divided in half with staff receiving an equal share of one half, and the rest continuing to fund the creators who use the site.

Basically…if we make $10,000 in one month, the deal guarantee’s that $6000 goes back into the creators on the site. Though it’ll probably be a long time before we hit $10k/month. lol

If we all(well everyone but staff) use this system when we buy our games, we’ll have plenty of funds to pay the content creators their fair share.

Let me know what you guys think of this. I’m hoping this is consistent with the previous times I have talked about our revenue sharing, it’s all about giving back and that is our goal.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

You're all zombie thigh-fat people brought into animation by some evil force of forceful evil!!! - Happy Noodle Boy.

POSTED BY Fudge Golem on Oct 28, 2017

Is this price comparison tool still a thing? I haven’t seen it on review pages.

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 30, 2017

Yes, definitely. Parts of it are already completed and running on every news article and review. It’s a bit of a process though. In order to link the ads the game must be linked to the article(connected) and ad must be linked to that game. At the current time I’ve only got about 75 ads for 40ish games in our database. We’re going to be working on catching up our data entry in the near future now that we have a couple of people helping write.

The price comparison part is still far off tho. Our current host does not allow us to use Node.JS to grab the prices in real time which is the only way we can do the tool. If we try to manually track pricing and list a game as on sale when it is not then we could be removed from the program and wont be able to make any money at all. Moving to a new server simply costs too much with such a small amount of content and visitors.

Still, need to update the database with the ASIN for each game before this tool can even be built. We’re working on that right now.

POSTED BY Fudge Golem on Oct 30, 2017

Ah, I see.

So what can I do to help right now? Just keep building out content? Can I help any on the data entry side?

POSTED BY xsuicidesn0wmanx on Oct 31, 2017

I’ll keep you in mind. I could use help with data entry on games but I’ve got a tool I can use to mass import games when I need them. It’s one of those items that’s on a long long list of crap I have to do that I’ve been ignoring while writing for the site.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.